Many Thanks! Many Thanks! Many Thanks! Many Thanks!

Thread: Many Thanks!

Default Many Thanks!

I want to thank everyone that has posted information on this board! I bought a new boat in 2015 and typically go for perch. Since the perch bite doesn't start until late June or July, I'm forced into walleye fishing until then. I wasted a lot of fuel over the years going for walleye. With the belief of sportfishing only, we do not troll. So, with that being said, I have finally have figured this casting for walleye thing out. Now, it is my time to share with you that need some info.

6/1 & 6/2 Fishing
    Started Saturday morning at 6 am from the dock and head to CIC. Got there before the pack got large. We took a 2 team limit of walleye using green/white Erie D's and worm harnesses with a slip weight at the top of the 18" lead. With the Erie's, we used a technique similar to a bottom bouncer. Hit the bottom, pull moderately and gently let it hit the bottom again. Repeat. Done by 9:30am. The worm harnesses, we just left out near the bottom since the drift was moving us about a mile per hour. They caught fish too but not as well as "teasing" them. 25 lbs at the cleaners.

Sunday was just about the limit of waves that I want to take. I knew that the wind was going to come out of the North/Northwest and then lay down. I decided to head over to the east side of PIB to get under the umbrella of the islands. I could see the boats over on the NE side of Catawba. It was much too wavy for me and my sis to go that direction. We picked up two along PIB before the front came through. It got windy and wavy really quick! We ducked into the cove off of the east side of the monument and fished along there until the wind slowed. Once the wind died down, we headed to that small pack that was still fishing that area by Catawba. We picked up 7 there using the same technique as before. The wind shut down and so did the walleye. We finished with 9 and 20lbs at the cleaners. We did catch a 30" catfish weighing over 10lbs. I hope that it is a channel cat. I will post pictures of that when I get a few moments to figure it out. It was released to make more cats. I love the smaller cats that are caught out in the lake!

More info on me..... I was born and raised in Port Clinton. Have a 26 footer (2015). I can only fish weekends as I now live in Indiana.

Thanks again for everyone's tips! You have made me into a better fisherman!

This is my start to help others too.

Nice report Boone Dog. Welcome to the forum!