Proper way to set trolling bags Proper way to set trolling bags Proper way to set trolling bags Proper way to set trolling bags

Default Proper way to set trolling bags

I used my Amish trolling bags to slow down my 17 foot Whaler today, but every once in a while I don't get them placed correctly and the boat wants to steer left then right and my 14 year old has a real difficult time steering a straight course when I am trying to set lines. What is the proper way to see those bags so the boat does not wander all over the place?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

did you tie off the back of the bags to the boat? for them to keep you from going side to side you need a trolling bag and not a drift bag. the first time I had drift bags but didnt like then. I went back to using a trolling plate to slow me down. then we found a set and my son got me to try them. and they work great for me so i'm still using them. but the trolling bags has rope that ties off the back of the bags to my rod holder base. if you don't tie off the back of the bags they wont work right.

As Sherman said,you want to buy trolling bags and not drift bags.Trolling bags are heavier and won't break apart as fast as drift bags.Most guys in the smaller boats use a plate behind prop,an electric trolling motor or a kicker.Difficult to tie bag to the front of a shorter boat and get enough length of rope and angle before bag gets into prop.You also want to tie rope to back of bag and tie to stern.This prevents bag from moving under boat or off to side of boat.Good luck.

I saw a couple of charters who had their trolling bags set farther forward amidship on the boats. I tried that with the trolling bags and the boat was not all over the place. The big problem with these trolling bags seems like the fish seem to try to get under them and it causes issues when trying to get them in the net.

I have small bags I use on my personal 19fter. The front I tie off a cleat just in front of the wind screen, bags sit just behind the back to back seats, basically where the boat is a full beam. I use them even in summer at speeds where the kicker would run by itself. I have more control with the rpms up and more thrust. I do tie the rear as well so the cant get too far off to the or under the boat in turns.

In some wind and wave condition I will pull 1 bag to counter act the effects of the push.

I also like how it helps pins the bow down in rougher waves.

I find I use them more for boat control than speed controll

Placement along the side could very dramatically effect how the bags pull. What size bags do you have, with a smaller boat several size bags might be needed depending in speed, current, conditions.

Not sure why your fish would be getting under your bags when coming in, but a simple turn when the fish is 20 ft or so away corrects that
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    As Sherman said,you want to buy trolling bags and not drift bags.Trolling bags are heavier and won't break apart as fast as drift bags.Most guys in the smaller boats use a plate behind prop,an electric trolling motor or a kicker.Difficult to tie bag to the front of a shorter boat and get enough length of rope and angle before bag gets into prop.You also want to tie rope to back of bag and tie to stern.This prevents bag from moving under boat or off to side of boat.Good luck.
    you don't want the bags far enough back to interfere with your fishing. they should run with the bags running along the side of your boat. I let my bags back far enough to tie the backs of the bags to my rear cleat or tie the back of the bags to the base of rod holders.

you must tie the back of the bags or you will never get control of you boat right. you want the back of the bag about 2 feet from the back of the boat. when you tie the back of the bags to the boat you wont have them going out to the side.

I do have that back of the bags tied, but they were too far back and the back of the bags were about two feet beyond the aft corner of the boat. When I moved them up along the side, it worked much better. Thank you all for helping to explain the proper procedure!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    I do have that back of the bags tied, but they were too far back and the back of the bags were about two feet beyond the aft corner of the boat. When I moved them up along the side, it worked much better. Thank you all for helping to explain the proper procedure!
    good deal. i'm glad to be of help anyway I can. it doesn't cost anything but a little of our time to help others whenever we can.