Fresh fish timeline Fresh fish timeline Fresh fish timeline Fresh fish timeline

Default Fresh fish timeline

So after cleaning walleye and immediately putting it in the fridge (no ice) how long does it last? We put them on ice right away when we catch them (before cleaning obviously). Just curious as I have a little bit of walleye leftover (uncooked) that we caught Thursday so it’s 4 days now. I realize now that putting them on some ice in the fridge helps. I really should’ve just froze what I didn’t eat the other day. Also, if frozen in water (to prevent freezer burn) my understanding is a year is fine. Am I way off there?

Obviously the fresher the better but 4 days in the fridge is fine. Imagine how long some fish sits before it's sold in the stores!! As long as you put sufficient water in them and you use quality freezer bags they are good for up to 2 years. Sometimes you will see a little freezer burn on a piece that is against the side of the bag.

Thing Bays edge has notice on board that will not be responsible for fish they cleaned and refrigerate after 3 days.I actually told my dad that a big fish we caught Friday should be cooked Monday and not do it Tuesday.Its probably safe to eat,but can get a fishy taste after 3 days.

i've kept walleye that was caught on erie , put them on ice and it was still good after a week on ice. if it doesn't smell right I would throw it out. if you got it in the fridge you should be good to go. i've kept fish for a few days many times.
    sherman

Keeping your fillets cold is key. Some fish will keep longer than others. Bluegills for example get fishy very fast. Several days in a good cold refrigerator should be fine. Beyond that it needs to be frozen.

As far as freezing goes, oxygen is enemy #1. Oxygen causes a break down in the fats and oils in many types of meat. Fish is no exception. Oxygen causes these fats to turn rancid.

I have a vacuum sealer that allows me to fill my bags with enough water to cover the fillets and then I can seal them as well. This removes almost all the gasified oxygen. This prevents freezer burn and the degradation caused by oxygen. Keeping meats in a frost free freezer is also a way to quickly ruin meat, because these units heat up and slightly thaw the surface of items placed within them periodically in order to work. This will cause rapid freezer burn, which tastes as bad if not worse than the rancid condition.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Great replies, thanks!

Kent,

My vacuum sealer would suck water out of the bag. What sealer are you using and how?

I used to freeze my fillets in water, but the sealer bags take up less room in the freezer. Some water in sealer bags would be the best of both.