Saturday 4/6-19 Saturday 4/6-19 Saturday 4/6-19 Saturday 4/6-19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday 4/6-19

Default Saturday 4/6-19

Hello Gang,

Well, I showed up at Catabwa launch about 5:30 AM. There were a few people stiring around but not many, I did not have to wait to launch. My partner was early so that was kool. Got the rig ready up in the lot and a quick in and out at the ramp. ( Nice Ramps)

It was dark so we just took our time heading to the Big White Nuclear Cloud Machine. I saw a few people letting her rip, but from all the logs I saw floating, I 'm glad I waited until I could at least see the surface pretty good. My rig is not a 90K machine, but either way I don't want to smack a log.

Once I could, I let my rig drink some fuel, very good for it I think.

The lake was almost placid (Beautiful for sure) Not often do I get to see it this way. My old buddy Jim and I decided to hit Niagra, so that was where we went. Soon it was a pretty busy place.

I started off with a large jigging Rap. Blue and chrome. I just love those things. It wasn't long and I had a dandy, only problem was, it wasn't hooked at the right end so, a little bit of flipping at the surface and it was loose and free. I caught Caught several more 16-17 inchers on same Rap. I had big hopes so I set them free too. Switched to Hair jigs and I got 2 that were around 19 so I put them in the box. My buddy was a bit frustrated (one of those days where nothing happens for you- lol) so around noon we headed a bit East from Niagra, (29-31 Fow) there was quite a crew working that zone, so we found a good course and joined in.

We tried P-10's on two rods, 30/30 (clown) and 30/50 (lime crush " i thinK") 2 oz. clip weights. One Bandit Humblebee back 90 ft. and One Deep Down Husky Jerk (Pink Clown) 115 back. the fish marked around 20 ft. in 29-30 fow. I tried to maintain about .9 mph. " I did see a lot of fast moving trollers though" Wonder how they did?

It wasn't long and we soon had a nice 20 incher in the net. A few flag smacks in the next 45 minutes, and then bam another 20 incher. Both on Deep Down Husky Jerk same color. So we reeled in one of the P-10 rigs and send a Glass Pink Clown DDHJ 115 back. bang. that one picked one up. Long story short, we ended up catching on 3 rods rigged with DDHJ same speed same depth and those are the only rigs we caught them on Saturday pulling baits. Pink Clown- Glass Pink Clown- Silver we caught fish on all of them and nothing else. Two tickets of some really nice fish. Took a while but I made a 100 mile trip back home and there was still a little light in the sky.

What a beautiful day on the lake- My face is so burnt I think I will become of those masked fisherman soon.. Don't know what to buy?

I wish you all a Great Season! Sure ready to live on that water!!

Kent
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 04-08-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Nice report and good job on the fishing.

Thanks,

Hope I can hit it Friday for a personal birthday present. Be fishing with my favorite fishing buddy.. "Little old me"
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

itsbob,

Have you been out any yet? Got room
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Thanks for offer Pimplepounder.May take you up on your offer someday.Yeah,Saturday was the day to be on erie with the calm winds.Unfortunately I had to work Saturday,but Sunday looked fishable in my buddies 18ft Lund.But when got up early Sunday,the IWindsurf forcast had 15mph wind out NE at 2pm.I called my buddy and we cancelled our fishing trip.From what I gathered,wasn't that windy in the afternoon and missed a chance on those big fish.Drats! I did get out several weeks ago on Pooh Bear's shake down cruise and had a great time on the water that day.His boat is so big,feels like fishing in luxury.He had the heat on inside his big cabin too.Didnt really need it due to the light wind and sunny conditions.We will be going down to Florida next week,so by the time I get back at end of April,will be approaching the transition to spoons and harnesses.Wind forcast does not look good for rest of week.I will be reading all the posts here and OGF as usual while I am gone.Good luck to all.Should be a great season to catch all those 2015 fish.PS....what is your first name Pimplepounder?

Kent McCleary
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Hey,

by the way-- what it your name? Don't tell me its-Bob.. lol
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Bob, IS it the end of April when we pull out the spoons and harnesses?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Yeah Kent,It is Bob Newman.I actually had a liscence plate that had ITSBOB on it.I see you are from the Lima area.I live in N Royalton which is a suburb of Cleveland.Takes us and hour and fifteen minutes to get up to Catawba.My cell is 440-227-6357.Send me a text.Maybe can join you to fish or share info if happen to be fishing the same day.
    Lucky Duck,the walleye bite changes to spoons and harnesses around when the water temps hit 50 degrees.Last season Pooh Bear got his first good spoon bite on May 6th.So the jig and crank bite end beginning of May usually.Good luck.

So Bob,

We gonna get a fishing report from down South? It would be the only reason I'd go ..
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium