Ice Out Ice Out Ice Out Ice Out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Out

Default Ice Out

Hey there,

I know some of you wonderful people live pretty close to the lake. I know you love being out on the water as much as I do and you check out the seen pretty often.

It would sure be nice if you could let this thankful water-dog know when you find the ice gone at the launches. Just enough to get my rig wet and wiggle my way out there.

Sure do appreciate what you can post.

PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

All the ice that blew out came back in. This cold spell us locking it in again. My guess another 2 weeks yet. Need some warmth and wind which is not in the near forecast. From Bessie to Marblehead I am talking.

As of 3pm this afternoon, West Harbor appeared to be all locked in including at the public launch next to Marine Max and also at State Park Marina next to Anchors Away.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Not a local, but one look at the satellite images, the ice fishing going on out north of South Bass Island, and this week's coming January-like cold and I'd think it's going to be weeks before the Lake is safe for boats. Heck of a lot of ice out there, all down the lake, and a lot more will form this coming week. We might even get some mainland access ice fishing starting Wednesday or Thursday.

the last decent sat pic is from the 28th

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...e.143.250m.jpg

I see alot of mud around the mainland area. if I can see mud there can't be very thick ice there..........I know the winds have been alot calmer which helps, but even after a few cold days I would have to be leary of ice safety.

please use caution.

with temps predicted to be in the 40s and 50s next week I would think and am hoping we should be able to get boats in the water in the next few weeks..........and cant see any reason why by April we wont be seeing lots of pictures of fish Ohio's and reading about how well the jig bite is
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 03-03-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Thanks for the information. won't launch until fit.. Usually give my rig a dip or two in March.. We shall see what the next few weeks bring.

Agree with Ben.Should be fishing in boats in two weeks.You don't make safe ice in March.Does not take long to break up and blow the ice out of western basin.Remember last weekend? The sun and current are thinning the ice at this time of year.It is inevitable.Would be freakish weather to make safe ice now,like subzero for over a week.Come on sun and warmth.

2 weeks can't go by fast enough. The pork Chop Express is ready to hit the lake we have the jigging rods all rigged with 10 pound power pro with 10 lb fluorocarbon leaders tied up to 3/4 oz hair jigs with stinger hooks, tip with a little teaser and we will be pulling those walleye to the surface with 3 chasing along because they are angry they didn't get there first. Get on the list for late march fishing when available and we still have a few dates open for April jigging, trolling or both, get scheduled for your chance at some fantastic Lake Erie action. This is going to be a great year to fish Lake Erie.
    Ice Out-captain-jpgIce Out-fish15-jpg
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Thursday satellite images show Western Basin around 90% ice covered. Rest of Lake same. Thicker and thinner areas, but plenty of thick ice out there all down the Lake. NOAA ice thickness map says 6-12 inches in the Western Basin (not easy to read - colors are not easy to tell apart). Probably more like 4-12. Doubt anyone will try ice fishing off the mainland today or this weekend, probably not a good path out due to choppy ice and ridges. Not looking good for boating anytime soon. I hear shipping ice breaking starts on Monday, including into Sandusky and Marblehead. That may help. I wouldn't expect "safe" boating to start for at least two weeks.

But there is hope... :-)
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-08-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: update info

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...s.php?region=e

I could be wrong that alot of this doesn't look like thick ice......I see alot of mud under that ice.

please please please be careful if you think of going out
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters