Time for new line counter reels Time for new line counter reels Time for new line counter reels Time for new line counter reels
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks everyone for your opinions on the counter reels! Very helpful information.

I would highly recommend going to another store that has working displays to check. I saw someone else mention one of the biggest problems with the cheap reels, which is that they do not like to release the bail when they have pressure on them (I've noticed this on Okumas and Cabela's reels). Make sure you test that when you are trying them out.

One other issue I've had is that the cheaper reels are so poorly geared that it feels like you have to reel twice as long with them compared to the nicer ones. And I am positive that it isn't the drag slipping because I've watched the spool and it's definitely turning.

Good luck!

i buy up every 27 lca diawa reel i see thats in good condition.

i buy up every diawa 27 lca reel i see that is in good condition.

I like the Tekota 500's and the Diawa SG27LC's....both seem to be pretty much bulletproof, if taken care of on a regular basis. I have several Tekotas that are from the year they came out...late 2000's, I think, and several Diawas that are over 20 years old and still working the way they should. It's definitely a "You get what you pay for" deal on reels.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    I like the Tekota 500's and the Diawa SG27LC's....both seem to be pretty much bulletproof, if taken care of on a regular basis. I have several Tekotas that are from the year they came out...late 2000's, I think, and several Diawas that are over 20 years old and still working the way they should. It's definitely a "You get what you pay for" deal on reels.
    juls runs a charter on erie so her reels get heavy use. the daiwa sealine or the shimano tekota reels will serve you well. i've been using some of the sg17lca reels for many yrs with not one failure. but i've heard good things about the tekota reels but never used one.

×2 what Juls said.Tekota are the best,but if can't afford those the Diawa 27 are the next best option.

Once again I want to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions concerning the counter reels. I believe I'm going to invest in the Tekotas. Sounds like a good investment !! Good luck to everyone and stay safe!!