Worm harness Worm harness Worm harness Worm harness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worm harness

Default Worm harness

As a 2nd year walleye fisherman, I’m still new to the game. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what size blades and beads and line to use when making my own worm harnesses. I have plenty of time to try and make some myself as I work outside and when it’s too cold i just can’t work so, I would like to try my hand at it. I did do very well on them at times last year and would like to experiment on colors of my choice and not the ones that are already pre-made. Any advice would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

17# XT Trilene
    1 - 1/0 hook
    6 - 5mm beads
    1 - #5 deep cut Colorado blade
    18" overall length casting
    36" overall length bottom bouncer
    42" overall length trolling

Quote Originally Posted by PZeiler View Post
    17# XT Trilene
    1 - 1/0 hook
    6 - 5mm beads
    1 - #5 deep cut Colorado blade
    18" overall length casting
    36" overall length bottom bouncer
    42" overall length trolling
    Is there a reason or benefit of using only one hook? I’ve used some with 2 hooks and even treble hooks. I know I’m opening up a can of worms, but I’m just trying to get educated!

Casting my opinion and again opinion is one hook all all the way. I worked on charter boats during summer time in the high school years and some after. I've always prided myself in being a good caster. With one hook you only need a inch or so of worm. Sometimes no worm. I will say with no worm very few will bite again if you drop back to them when you miss. I couldn't tell you how many times customers would put a whole worm on a two hook cast and catch one, little did they know I watched the worm rip to pieces and fly every which way with their wild cast.

I will also say that I rarely ever didn't have a number 3 or 4 hammered gold Indiana blade on. Again preference. Wouldn't get into all the fancy colors out there. Yes they work but day in and day out a standard gold or copper will keep up with any custom color. Make sure you pay attention where in the water column your catching. Cast and do counting method. Cast 1000 1002 ect you catch a fish at a 8 count repeat. Dont be afraid to try different counts even a "splash and go" cast and retrieve right away. Fishing "the swing" if your boat drifts sideways cast straight off the back. As the boat drifts your lure will swing and just as it changes directions or starts coming up a lot of strikes happen.

Quote Originally Posted by loomis82 View Post
    I will also say that I rarely ever didn't have a number 3 or 4 hammered gold Indiana blade on. Again preference. Wouldn't get into all the fancy colors out there. Yes they work but day in and day out a standard gold or copper will keep up with any custom color. Make sure you pay attention where in the water column your catching. Cast and do counting method. Cast 1000 1002 ect you catch a fish at a 8 count repeat. Dont be afraid to try different counts even a "splash and go" cast and retrieve right away. Fishing "the swing" if your boat drifts sideways cast straight off the back. As the boat drifts your lure will swing and just as it changes directions or starts coming up a lot of strikes happen.
    I second the advice about gold blades. I always have them in the water when using harnesses and they always catch fish and usually out catch any other color. I preferred hammered gold, Colorado blades for casting and Colorado or willow blades for trolling. I use 2 no 1 octopus hooks on mine.

blade size will also change depending on trolling or casting. we use alot of willow blades on ours when we troll. but speed is part of the factor......the willow blades work better and spin right at the summer trolling speeds in mid 2 mph, sometimes at those speeds some of the bigger blades blow out and don't spin right. our trolling harness use 3 hooks. 2 singles and a treble at the end. some days we do shorten the worm up if we are getting short hits.

and some times it's just which day it is.

dont forget also do you use 1 blade or multiple?????

the endless questions
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

hey man quick question.. I do use the gold or copper Colorado blades... but my question is... what color of beads do you prefer? I try different color beads but don't know if bead color even matters?? thoughts??

Worm harness-file1-11-jpg

Worm harness-file-45-jpg

A collection of beads and blades I use

Also a casting harness with the our best colors last year

Been trying casting harness for 20yrs and trolling ones for around 10yrs.The Seaguar 20lb flourocarbon is the gold standard.Use it and you won't go back.Casting blade is the #4 Colorado hammered gold with a lip.I use mostly 2mm gold and a few green beads and a double gamakatsu octopus size 2 hooks.Tie them 2ft long.I always use a quick change clevis on all harnesses.The trolling harnesses are 6ft long leader I tie right into rig.Use 6mm beads of mostly orange,pink and neon yellow.We use both double willow rigs and #5 and #6 colorado blades.The #2 tadpoles divers work great for trolling harness and we put a swivel on the trolling harness to keep the twist to minimum.Last season the 2015 fish preferred the scorpion spoons over our harnesses,so did not run the harnesses nearly as often.Oh yeah,we would do a double hook on trolling harness about 3.5" apart.Number #1 gamakatsu on front and went to a rear treble several years ago.Good luck.