Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19 Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19 Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19 Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19

We met at mazuriks at 8:30 and launched about 9 am. headed out to about 40' of water between kellys and marblehead and started marking fish just north of the muddy water. had a quick training on how to set lines with snap weights and boards and we started fishing.

We ran perfect 10's at 20/20 and 30/30 with 2 oz then some husky jerks and some bandits deeper and out the back with stern planers. i run the stern planers because the boat pushes the fish deeper and the stern planers run them right into the fish after we cross over them. we caught about 6 fish on those today. we covered the water column from 15' to 30' deep catching fish on all lines at every depth any bright color seemed to work nothing stood out.

we ran straight east out to about 47' of water and caught fish consistantly the whole way. The wind died down around noon to 2 and the fishing died off. the wind picked back up at 2 and we started catching them again. we didn't even need a trolling motor most of today, we drifted along with the wind between .8 and 1.2 and steered with the main in the water, great for gas mileage.

We ended up with 3 fish ohio's a 4 man limit and 3 for the captain. The michigan crew had the best day walleye fishing they have ever had. it was an amazing day on the lake for January hope for more soon.Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19-img_1684-jpgGreat day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19-img_1686-jpgGreat day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19-img_1689-jpgGreat day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19-img_1691-jpgGreat day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19-img_1698-jpg
    Capt Sam "Porkchop" Downing
    [email protected]
    www.porkchopexpresscharters.com
    www.facebook.com/captwalleye/
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.
    OFFERING 2 TO 6 PERSON CHARTERS FOR WALLEYE AND PERCH

Captain,
    That was one fine report and happy you all had agreat day with some beautiful fish!
    Bruce

I think you are the first person to say you like using the stern planers in some time. I really think they are an effective tool to use in addition to the side planers.
    Bruce

When running a lot of lines it gives you a nice option to run two additional lines without getting tangled without running big boards. When precision trolling very slow i like them a lot. I use them regularly in the spring and late fall. They recently made a video using the Garmin panoptix pointed forward in a great lake. It marked walleye at 10' deep ahead of the boat and then the chirp sonar showed the fish move to 25' deep when the boat went over them. this proves the reason why stern planers work effectively. they can be difficult to read and you have to pay attention to the rod tip but i like them.
    [email protected]
    2017 North river seahawk 25. 27' long w/yamaha 300 and 9.9 kicker. Full garmin electronics package including 12" gps and chirp sonar, radar with satellite weather and radio, autopilot for main engine and TR1 autopilot for kicker has a private porta potty and seating for 8 under the roof.

Great report.Nice to see this time of year with so few still fishing.Love the pictures too.

Captain Sam.Notice you have a 30ft boat and a picture of it on a trailor.Is that the boat you use this time of year to fish?Most of the captains have like 23ft boats with no canopy when launching at the ramps.If using that 30ft boat,can get larger crews and that canopy really helps to keep you warmed up in this cold.

Bob thanks for asking,

Yes it is a trailerable boat, but much larger than a tournament style boat and much more comfortable and roomy with higher 36" sided. It is 102" wide so no need for permits to haul. It weighs 6500 lbs with the trailer, heavy enough to ride good in the water but light enough to tow around where the fish are biting.

It is a North River seahawk 25 which makes it 25' from tip to back of transom but there is an 36" extended transom and the yamaha 300 sits behind that making for a great ride with that long bottom. The outboard allows for the entire floor to be open and with 36" sides it is very safe and comfy for passengers.

We run a buddy heater in the cabin with full sides and a drop curtain and it gets so warm we have to turn it off. This is by far one of the most versitile boats available for the great lakes. It will run 55 mph but troll 1mph in the wind with no motor. You can run the full canopy (even tow with it up its very heavy built) or fold it all up to jig the river. We have fished with 6 passengers and me with no issues there is room for everyone. There are two suspension seats in the front and two bench seats that hold 3 people each. There is a porta potty under a bench seat with a privacy curtain if needed. I did a lot of research on boats before buying and i, as well as everyone i take out loves this boat. I drove all the way to Portland Oregon to pick her up.

Come and fish with us some day and experiance the Pork Chop Express.
    [email protected]

I could be wrong, but i think there is a place on st rt 53 going into Fremont that either sells or has a couple of smaller north river boats
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 01-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I could be wrong, but i think there is a place on st rt 53 going into Fremont that either sells or has a couple of smaller north river boats
    You are correct!
    Riverfront Marina and Campground, just north of turnpike.
    That is whom we ordered ours from, Very nice people.
    I think they are the only dealer this far east. Next closest dealer is in Idaho.
    When we ordered ours, I considered going on a road trip, driving out to Oregon to pick her up as shipping was not cheap,But Rob from Riverfront ordered one for stock and we split the cost of the trucking,
    We will be starting our fourth season with her [Should say started as we have been out a couple times this month} and I still love the boat, It's a fishing machine..
    Attached Images Attached Images Great day on the lake with a crew from Michigan 1/5/19-driveway-jpg 
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

Thanks Capt Sam,That is probably one of the bigger boats you can trailor and has the advantage of keeping our crew warm.Been reading all the reports lately on the great fishing this past fall and early winter.Texted some of my fishing buddies about getting a charter,but they declined due to family commits or poor health.Will keep you in mind in future though.