New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling

Thread: New to trolling

Default New to trolling

Could anyone help me with what rods and line counters work well for trolling for walleye in Lake Erie? I'm new to trolling Erie and would like to troll both spoons and crankbaits. I'm just not sure what gear to start with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I like OKUMA CLASSIC PRO ROD 7FT 2 PIECE. it's a stiff enough rod to troll dipseys and inline boards. s little stiff for big boards for my liking. coupled to OKUMAMAGDA PRO MA 30 DX it's a nice combo to start with. northwoodsoutlet you can get both rod and reel for 53 bucks. they also have an 8'6" rod if you want longer or to stagger you dispey for better spacing.

been using mine now for 4 years with no issue other than 1 sticky reset button for the line counter. and that more than likely my fault from dropping it or something.

there are much better quality setups out there, but these are decent units for starting without spending tons, 6 rods and reels for a touch over 300 plus shipping is tough to beat
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 01-04-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I like OKUMA CLASSIC PRO ROD 7FT 2 PIECE. it's a stiff enough rod to troll dipseys and inline boards. s little stiff for big boards for my liking. coupled to OKUMAMAGDA PRO MA 30 DX it's a nice combo to start with. northwoodsoutlet you can get both for 53 bucks each. they also have an 8'6" rod if you want longer or to stagger you dispey for better spacing.

been using mine now for 4 years with no issue other than 1 stickied g boulter reset button. and that more than likely my fault from dropping it or something.

there are much better quality setups out there, but these are decent units for starting without spending tons, 6 rods and reels for a touch over 300 plus shipping is tough to beat

Thanks for input. It is much appreciated!!

the sealine is at the top of the list for mid level reels. cabelas has a sale on its sg lc5 reels for 69.88 each with free shipping. these reels go for 100.00 for the 17 size and more for the 27 and 47 but you can get either size for the 69.88. I like the 17 size for erie's central basin but the other sizes will work but for walleye to 17 is big enough for eyes and steelhead you might catch. if you plan to salmon fish I would go with the 47.

I don't know how much longer this sale will last.

as for rods the wilderness trolling rods at fishusa for 19.99 cant be beat. I would get the 8' med/lt for all around fishing. the do get a bend when trolling divers but they still work good.
    Last edited by sherman51; 01-01-2019 at 09:10 AM.

I second as what Branham stated my Okuma reels are 6 and 10 yrs. old with
    only 2 have been sent for repairs and the rods are good ones also. Watch Fish USA for specials on those combos also.

Gene

the sealine reels are a couple of notches up on the magda pro's. smoother with better drags. the only difference between the sg lc3b and the sg lc5 is the lc5 has 5 bearings and is a cabelas exclusive item. still on sale at cabelas for 69.88. i've been using the older used sg17lca reels for about 12 yrs and haven't had the 1st problem yet. I was using the sg17lca reels on the left side of the boat and accudepth plus reels on the right side of the boat. I found a good deal on some sg17lc3b reel and upgraded the accudepth plus reels. the accudepth reels were also used and I used them for about 8 yrs with only one problem. we had a young man on board that forced the handle backwards and broke something in the reel.

as for rods as stated above the wilderness trolling rods in 8' m/l will work great for any type trolling you do. you cant beat the rods for 19.99 at fishusa.com.

oh yeah be sure and let us know what you get?
    Last edited by sherman51; 01-09-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: to ask a question

Today only FISH USA has the Okuma Magda 30's on sale for 47.99 and if you
    buy 6 you get 1 free. That's a good deal 1/9/19 only.

Gene