New to Lake Erie New to Lake Erie New to Lake Erie New to Lake Erie

Default New to Lake Erie

Planning on making a trip to lake Erie October 9,10,11. if weather cooperates! I am new to lake Erie but not to walleye fishing. We were planning on camping at Catawba sate park but I know the ramp is down. I am looking for any help on where to launch, any other place to stay, where to fish for walleye, what to use this time of year on Erie. Or any other information you may be willing to share

Thanks
    Red

You can put in at the other state ramp at lakeside it's not far from where you are going to camp and be a short ride to Kelleys inland that ramp is right on the lake.They are taking walleye in that area east of the inland.If you are casting use worm harnesses you can stop at a bait store and they can fix you up with what you need they cost around $3.00 and your need sinkers 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz the boat ramp name is Mazurik, Lakeside Marblehead
    Last edited by wildturkey; 10-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Red,

There is no camping at Catawba State Park. Just picnicking, sitting and enjoying the Lake, and a boat launch which is not currently operating. You'll have to camp over at East Harbor State Park, which may be what you meant to say. It's over on the east side of Catawba across from Catawba State Park, not far, about a 15 minute drive. You can easily get to the State Mazurik Boat Launch just east of the park. Walleye fishing is moving back into the Western Basin from the Central Basin (Cedar Point and Huron). Yes, east of Kelleys Island and north of Cedar Point should be good areas but good catches of walleye are starting out northwest of South Bass and Rattlesnake Islands. Ask around to get the latest reports as well as checking back here.

Would you recommend staying at South Bass Island state camp ground, looks like a shorter boat ride. What about the winds. I perch fish lake Michigan out of Michigan City, Indiana and New Buffalo Michigan and North winds make the lake rough south winds keep the lake calmer. Winds are suppose to be SSW 10 to 15 mph according to the 10 day forcast

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Would you recommend staying at South Bass Island state camp ground, looks like a shorter boat ride. What about the winds. I perch fish lake Michigan out of Michigan City, Indiana and New Buffalo Michigan and North winds make the lake rough south winds keep the lake calmer. Winds are suppose to be SSW 10 to 15 mph according to the 10 day forcast
    You don't mention what boat you're using...size matters on this lake. But, to answer your question...a 10-15 SSW wind is not bad. You'll be looking at 1-3's depending on where you are fishing. You can always go to the lee side of the islands for calmer waters too.

If you want to stay at the campground at SB, it's a nice park. VERY close to the perch fishing too.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default camp site and launch ramp

SOURCE: Google Maps

New to Lake Erie-scan0001-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Planning on making a trip to lake Erie October 9,10,11. if weather cooperates! I am new to lake Erie but not to walleye fishing. We were planning on camping at Catawba sate park but I know the ramp is down. I am looking for any help on where to launch, any other place to stay, where to fish for walleye, what to use this time of year on Erie. Or any other information you may be willing to share

Thanks
    Red
    On Lakefront drive, west of Port Clinton, there is a state launch ramp and a trailer camp site next door.
    You have Lake Erie access via the Portage River and to some good areas north of Port Clinton, that has lately produced good numbers of yellow perch.
    Have not heard any reports of the walleye return to the western basin as of yet. There have been many 5 inch walleye in the perch areas.
    Fish cleaning can be found at Port Clinton fish company and at Shore Nuf head boats, all near the drawbridge in town.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    ~Water Dog

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Several people have given comments, all good. Since we don't know much about your trip other than what you want to fish for, I'll give you some general advice. There are numerous places to camp on the mainland, including East Harbor State Park and many private places. Also State Parks on the islands (South Bass and Middle Bass, and Kelleys) as well as a few private places. This time of year you need to call to check availability and what services they still offer. The advantage of staying on one of the islands is you are closer to the fishing, but the disadvantage is you are only closer to the fishing around that area. On the mainland you can trailer to various launch ramps depending on the wind and where the current action is at. Islands have limited options for supplies, food, etc. especially this time of year.

I'd check websites for info. Do a search for "Lake Erie Port Clinton campgrounds" and similar. You can also visit this site, which has a links page with all kinds of Lake related websites as well as a launch ramps page (with photos) - www.ilakeerie.com. If you know what area of the lake you want to concentrate on you can then search around that area for camping and launch ramps. Good luck!