Carrying your Passport on board Carrying your Passport on board Carrying your Passport on board Carrying your Passport on board
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carrying your Passport on board

I have a passport but I keep it tucked away in my safe. Should I be carrying it with me on the lake in case I every accidentally cross the border? Do the the US Customs every stop boaters/fisherman in Ohio waters?
    I am asking as I watched an unmarked older Boston Whaler that was repowered with an Evinrude motor, scanning the fishing pack by Green on Sunday with binoculars and then motor up to boats and ask to see license, ID. Could see he had a dark shirt on with a badge that looked somewhat like a deputy sheriff. HE had another guy with him who had on a florescent life vest I believe. This just started me to think about who is out on the lake and what we should be carrying for credentials. I have seen Ohio watercraft boars, sheriff boats, Coast Guard, and the US Customs boats here and there out on the lake.
    Can anyone talk about passports and who this officer could have been with an unmarked boat?

I travel back and forth all season long. I usually only carry my passport if I step foot on land. That being said, you are required to report to Canadian customs if you cross, when you cross. This topic is debated every year. What you saw was likely border patrol. Many of them are contracted agents that use a boat service for hire. At the end of the day, you need to do what you are comfortable with. IMO fishing near or on the line doesn't warrant carrying of your passport as Long as you have other ID.

I thought the new law passed by the Canadians last Summer removed all these requirements, provided that no Canadian soil was touched by person, craft, or anchor. All licences required.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    I have a passport but I keep it tucked away in my safe. Should I be carrying it with me on the lake in case I every accidentally cross the border? Do the the US Customs every stop boaters/fisherman in Ohio waters?
    I am asking as I watched an unmarked older Boston Whaler that was repowered with an Evinrude motor, scanning the fishing pack by Green on Sunday with binoculars and then motor up to boats and ask to see license, ID. Could see he had a dark shirt on with a badge that looked somewhat like a deputy sheriff. HE had another guy with him who had on a florescent life vest I believe. This just started me to think about who is out on the lake and what we should be carrying for credentials. I have seen Ohio watercraft boars, sheriff boats, Coast Guard, and the US Customs boats here and there out on the lake.
    Can anyone talk about passports and who this officer could have been with an unmarked boat?

That is the ODNR. They checked me earlier in the year with that same boat while I was Walleye fishing. Until that day, I didn't realize that they used unmarked vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    I thought the new law passed by the Canadians last Summer removed all these requirements, provided that no Canadian soil was touched by person, craft, or anchor. All licences required.
    You are correct!

I thought the new Canadian law only changed the requirement about calling before you crossed into Canada..if you don't touch land you can go fishing or pleasure boating without calling//you still need Canadian fishing license and outdoor card..passport is requires by U.S .whenever you leave country..proves united states citizenship..

Default Re: Carrying your Passport on board

Regarding that mysterious unmarked boat incident from years ago, it's challenging to say who that officer could have been. It might've been a watercraft officer or someone from another agency conducting checks. But rest assured, such situations are quite rare.

don't touch land or anchor your boat

It's fascinating that this thread has been around for five years! Time sure flies! But let's get back to your question about carrying your passport while boating. Now, keeping your passport tucked away in a safe spot sounds like a smart move. It's not something you usually need while out on the lake in Ohio waters. And chances are, you won't be facing any US Customs checks on your boating adventures. Their focus is typically on border crossings and international travel. As for credentials, it's good to have your regular ID, fishing license, and boat registration handy. You can visit this fake id forum to get a new ID you prefer that. That should cover most scenarios while enjoying your fishing trips. Safety first, though - if you ever encounter an officer and feel unsure, don't hesitate to ask for proper verification.
    Last edited by Derecaston; 07-25-2023 at 08:40 AM.

Just order a "Passport Card", too. I have a passport I keep at home, that I take on my trips out of country, but I keep a passport card in my boat bag, so I have one if I cross when I'm on the lake. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters