Sun Aug 12th Perch near Green Sun Aug 12th Perch near Green Sun Aug 12th Perch near Green Sun Aug 12th Perch near Green
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sun Aug 12th Perch near Green

Slow pick about 1 mile south of Green in a pack that developed to what looked to be over 100 boats. In 32 FOW using Golden shiners, two of us caught 44 nice perch 8.5-9.5 with about a nice share of the fish over ten inches. The issue today was you could not feel most of them hit at all. WEeheld the line in our fingers and held the poles in our hands but had a lot of difficulty feeling these fish. WE caught two small sheep, had about a dozen small throwback perch, and we caught five yearling Walleye. WE started at 8:00 and the bite slowed at 11:30 but we hung in there until 1:00 when it totally died off.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Slow pick about 1 mile south of Green in a pack that developed to what looked to be over 100 boats. In 32 FOW using Golden shiners, two of us caught 44 nice perch 8.5-9.5 with about a nice share of the fish over ten inches. The issue today was you could not feel most of them hit at all. WEeheld the line in our fingers and held the poles in our hands but had a lot of difficulty feeling these fish. WE caught two small sheep, had about a dozen small throwback perch, and we caught five yearling Walleye. WE started at 8:00 and the bite slowed at 11:30 but we hung in there until 1:00 when it totally died off.

Bruce
    Thanks for the report.

Do you use braided line for your perch rigs? I have gone to braid and a sensitive rod and can feel the slightest tick on the line with no problem.

Thank you for the idea to use braid. I do not use braid on the perch rods. I use Cabelas green colored mono 8lb test. I have also found in my army of rods, I can feel pretty good with a 41 year old hollow fiberglass rod I had as a kid. What do you suggest for a rod? Like a IM 7 or something along that line? I love an excuse to buy more gear!
    Thanks.
    Bruce

For the money I don’t think you can beat the Berkley Lightening Rod combined with the braid line. If you have never tried it you owe it to yourself to feel the difference.

Thank you Eyezcrazy, I will get some braid and try a Berkley Lightening rod! If it means the difference between lots of lost bait and lots of missed fish, it will more than pay for itself.
    Thank you,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Duck View Post
    Thank you Eyezcrazy, I will get some braid and try a Berkley Lightening rod! If it means the difference between lots of lost bait and lots of missed fish, it will more than pay for itself.
    Thank you,
    Bruce
    Save a bit of money. Go to Walmart first and get a Shakespeare "micro graphic". Grey in color, lightweight, available 6 to 7 foot. They are very inexpensive...around $20. Rig it with powerpro and you will have no trouble feeling them and/or seeing the rod tip dip a bit with a lite bite. You can pay a whole lot more for a rod, but I haven't seen anything better, and using that combo I can hold my own with anyone. Try it... you are only out $20. You can also order on line at link below or from Sportsman warehouse I believe

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/s...d/1363823.html

Thank you Lefriend. I will get one of those poles too. I need to get two or three poles for when the kids come with me. I appreciate the tips. Its funny that I have all kinds of poles, but the one I guess I am most used to and catch my most fish on is that 41 year old fiberglass Berkley pole. I keep thinking how is it that these newer poles are not more advanced with technology than that old pole.
    Thank you both for the tips on these new fishing poles.
    Bruce

Default was out Sunday too

very late getting out of the hole 11:00 in the morn, only because of my of my daughter and boyfriend doing the Sunday brunch thingy, on my last spot 32ft from last week, bite was slow using bling, all the perch we were getting were 8-11's , I use braided line because the farm animals I were getting were up to 8lbs and they can do some major stretching to mono, what really sucked was minnows are hard to come by here on our Can side and the pail that I got was much meager to the count than my last I got, figures!!! we ran out of bait only to have the bite of the biggies recommence around 2:00 catching doubles over and over of nothing but 9-11's , even used worm bits and coaxed a few, but very sad and frustrating to see that happen...lol, oh well, that's fishing finished with 65 which went over 20lbs. according to all my medium ziplocks being filled.
    What a nice size to the fish this year, only two throwbacks in two outings....

Sucks you ran out of bait! I always keep the first white perch or bass just in case I run out. Cut of strips of meat and works great! Sometimes you can catch 3-4 with 1 piece. I've had days where they would bite that better then minnows.

Default anyone notice

Quote Originally Posted by walleyerunner1 View Post
    Sucks you ran out of bait! I always keep the first white perch or bass just in case I run out. Cut of strips of meat and works great! Sometimes you can catch 3-4 with 1 piece. I've had days where they would bite that better then minnows.

the lack of small white perch and even small perch around, lots of food chain eating going on, I even caught a muskie out in the middle of the lake last June, perch been puking out gobies.... I'll try that suggestion but it will have to be lower on the menu...sheephead...lol