Perch Perch Perch Perch
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch

10/12-13-14 Put some miles on the boat this weekend. Found lots of fish but getting them to bite took some work. Got up here Wednesday night but it was a little to rough Thursday for me (It used to take 4 to 5 footers to keep me off the water, now 3 to 4 keeps me in). Friday a buddy and me headed to Crib Reef but the water was to muddy. Went to B can and couldn't find any good schools, marks were very scattered. Went to A can found the same thing. On the way back to the dock at 4 pm we noticed the water around L Can had cleared up. Deployed the Ulterra hit the spot lock over a school and caught 50 perch by 5:30 pm. They Weighed 23 lbs at Shattos. Saturday 3 of us went out to the same spot east of L can fished 3 hrs and caught 28. Came in early to visit with some family who made the trip up from Newark. 2 of us went back to the same spot at 4pm and finished our limit by 5:30. Sunday went to the Picket Fence by myself moved 4 times couldn't get a bite, moved north of Crib Reef to 21 fow caught a limit in 3 hours nice fish 13 lbs at Shattos. Had to slowly raise the rigs off the bottom 6 to 12 inches to get them to bite Sunday. All 3 days used 3 hook crappie rigs and 5/8 chrome swedish pimple with a 4 inch drop hook. Shiners from Bite Me Bait.

10/19-20-21-22
    Two of us started out at L can Thursday several boats were there but we couldn't find any good marks, moved to Crib Reef, 21 fow on the north side and saw some fish on the screen. Fished for 3 hours using emerald shiners from Bite Me Bait, on 3 hook crappie rigs and a chrome 5\8 oz swedish pimple with a 4 inch drop hook on it. The perch were huge, 11 and 12 inch with some 13 and a 14. They were biting short and tearing the minnows off the hooks, so we ran out of bait after catching 31. The catch almost filled a 5 gallon bucket. Friday my brother joined us, the wind was blowing hard out of the south so we went to the picket fence. Wasted a couple of hours moving around and couldn't get anything going. Next we went over to Waterdogs territory and joined a couple of boats at H can. The perch were there and biting but it was slow. We pulled 35 in 3 hours and called it a day. The fish weighed 12 lbs at Shatto's Fish Cleaning. Saturday and Sunday were to rough for us, so we enjoyed a lot of TV football, and good meals at Wild Wings restaurant before heading home Sunday evening.

10/19-20-21-22
    Two of us started out at L can Thursday several boats were there but we couldn't find any good marks, moved to Crib Reef, 21 fow on the north side and saw some fish on the screen. Fished for 3 hours using emerald shiners from Bite Me Bait, on 3 hook crappie rigs and a chrome 5\8 oz swedish pimple with a 4 inch drop hook on it. The perch were huge, 11 and 12 inch with some 13 and a 14. They were biting short and tearing the minnows off the hooks, so we ran out of bait after catching 31. The catch almost filled a 5 gallon bucket. Friday my brother joined us, the wind was blowing hard out of the south so we went to the picket fence. Wasted a couple of hours moving around and couldn't get anything going. Next we went over to Waterdogs territory and joined a couple of boats at H can. The perch were there and biting but it was slow. We pulled 35 in 3 hours and called it a day. The fish weighed 12 lbs at Shatto's Fish Cleaning. Saturday and Sunday were to rough for us, so we enjoyed a lot of TV football, and good meals at Wild Wings restaurant before heading home Sunday evening.

7/24-25/19
    Tried A B and G can, the intake and Wards for 2 long days. Marked some small schools of perch. Pulled a few but never did get them going. Goldies and frozen shiners, spreaders and crappy rigs. Fished mostly on the bottom, but tried up higher also. I made up some files to look like sand fleas and will try them in the morning. If anyone is having any luck with catching any perch I would appreciate a heads up. I've enjoyed the walleye bite and have a freezer full of them, but it's supposed to be the start of perch season.

7/26
    Tried again Friday Picket fence, L and A can. Found a few marks, no good schools. Goldies and frozen shiners on crappie rigs and spreaders, I also tried the flies I made to look like sand fleas, they caught 3 perch and 2 sheephead. Caught 11 perch in 5 hours split up fairly even at all 3 locations. Gave up on them Saturday and Sunday and went back to bottom bouncing walleye at least there still biting. Going to try for the perch again on Thurs and Fri.

8\1-5\2019
    3 of us headed over to Waterdogs neighborhood on Thursday. Tried the east end of the picket fence, and G can, caught a few 8 to 10 inch perch. Rather than spend the whole day trying to find some willing perch, we headed north to Toussaint Reef and cast for some walleye. Friday we went to B can and for the first time this year found some willing perch, returned Sat and Sun and it just kept getting a little better each day. Our count went 30, 38, and 51. I went back by myself on Monday and got my first limit of the year. All 4 days were very soft bite, and very few aggressive fish. We were using goldies on crappie rigs and spreaders, no bling. Perch-20190804_151353-jpg
    Last edited by 5285; 08-06-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I might just have to run out there one night this week.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

8/9/19
    Left Green Cove at 1pm, headed to D can to see if the third hand report I got was accurate. Fished 2 hours and kept (18) 8 to 10" perch. Released (14) 4 to 6" perch. The good news is caught (0) sheephead, made a 500 foot circle before I anchored and marked lots of perch spread out. No heavy concentrations but lots of scattered fish. Bites were really light, I could only use 1 rod, when I tried 2 I was missing fish on both on both rods. Used 3 hook crappy rig with 3/4oz weight, and lip hooked goldies. Miserable 45 minute ride back at 12 miles an hour. Looks like the wind is laying down tomorrow, should be a better ride in the morning.Perch-perch-jpg

Thanks for the detailed report

Similar story for us. My wife and I fished about 1/2 mile West of A can and picked up 5 keepers, 4 sheephead, and 2 fingerling walleye. Waves were every bit of 2' with 3+ swells. We fished Sunday morning from 8:00 to 11:00 and headed back in to Meinke West. It was a little rougher than what we like to fish in. Hopefully next Sunday will be better.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270