Islands area Smallmouth? (out of Channel Grove) Islands area Smallmouth? (out of Channel Grove) Islands area Smallmouth? (out of Channel Grove) Islands area Smallmouth? (out of Channel Grove)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks everyone! Got a couple nice ones July 30 on the NW corner of Kelley's. Trying again this weekend on the east side... Will file a report. Thanks again!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Here’s a little smallmouth info from scuba diving around the Islands, from right near shore to some of the wrecks in deeper water. I’ve seen nice size smallmouth in 6 foot of water right up along the shoreline in the rocks, middle of a calm sunny day in late July. I’ve also seen them in the deeper water hanging around structure such as boulders and wrecks during the same conditions. Usually I’d be cruising along at one depth, looking for anchors and whatever else while watching for fish. I’d see a stray smally or two, then I’d get to a place and there would be a group of them. Swim past that area and it goes back to singles here and there. So if you catch one, chances are there are others there or very close by.

Here are three areas to hit that most people ignore. After about 7pm the lake boat traffic drops of to almost nill. Fish the rocky reef area south of South Bass in the straight between SB and Catawba (see a chart). Too many boats during the morning and afternoon so it doesn’t get much fishing pressure. Also along the south shore of Kelleys within 200 yards of shore, 10-15 foot depths, from Downtown west. Be careful as there are old cribs and other bottom structure (including an old boat boiler) in there, but there are smallies in there. Next for deeper water in traditional August walleye waters try a few miles east of the airport. There is a big boulder field out there with car size boulders, 25-30 feet deep. Find that area and fish around the boulders. Not marked on charts. Again, I almost always found smallmouth in groups so if you catch one, fish that area hard before you move on.

Thanks for the info West Basin,

I am sure that once you get to see the lake from a fish eye view, you have a new perspective of how many fish there really are down there and what kinda of fish they are. Electronics while nice, do not tell quite as much as a first hand visual.

You sparked my interests on the boulder field you referred to I wouldn't mind knowing a little more about this area. There is a lot of water out that way..

Again Thanks,

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

It was about ten years ago. My dive buddy (boat owner) and I were looking for a supposed wreck reminants about 3-5 miles out from the airport. We started east of the Price Wreck off the airport and slowly when east watching the depth sounder. After going out about (from what I recall 1 to 2 miles?) 25 minutes we saw a big blip on the sonar. But only one. We went farther. Another blip. We moved around that area for 15-20 minutes and finally stopped over one of the big depth increases – something on the bottom. We anchored, suited up, and dove. We never found any wreckage but we did come across some huge boulders, or what seemed like boulders, the size of a volkswagaon beetle. They were space fairly far about, maybe (?) 40-50 yards. I saw the only walleye school I ever managed to get on video (was filming the dive) and also found a nice brass knobbed ice fishing spud bar (lying up against one of the boulders in a little rock pile field). I never expected to find such big structure out there. Would love to go back and try to find the area. That’s the best I can tell you.

Well, I know where you are talking. So I guess I just need to take the time to search and watch the electronics..I often see large bottom marks like boulders here and there. You have to be quick on the way-point button to keep on them. Pretty cool on the spud bar. I have not heard of anyone fishing ice out that way for a long time rarely freezes up good East of the islands. It must have been there a long time. Thanks.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Thanks for the areas to try.