Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018 Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018 Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018 Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018

Default Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018

Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018

The past two days I had the good fortune to fish with my cousin, Jim Eichner, and his son, Doug, and his nephews, Joe and Matt Courville (my cousin, Polly's, sons).

I met Jim each morning at Big Bopper's, since we both get up early, and the rest of the crew slept in until it was time to go to the launch.

Yesterday, I stopped off at Rickard's to pick up some shiners for perch fishing, but as luck would have it all the bait shops around here were out of Emerald Shiners....they only had Golden Shiners. But, the perch will still bite on the Goldies....so, don't worry too much about not having the Emeralds if you come here to do some perch fishing.

To make a long story short....the perch'n wasn't so hot for me and my crew. I suppose I made the mistake of moving around too much this time, and should have shown more patience and stayed put on a spot that had sporadic bites. They would come and go...in waves. We would catch 4, 5, maybe 6, and then....nothing. Then, they would show up again. I kept thinking there would be a better spot, but I never found it. Just one of those days. The guys enjoyed the day anyway.

It was a lazy day for everyone. Jim had a three hour difference, since he and Doug are from out near Seattle, WA...and, the rest of the crew was from Illinois farm country, and they were happy just relaxing for the day. It would have been really nice if the misty rain had stayed off the lake and kept itself confined to my yard though.

Fast forward to today....and walleye.

Jim and I met at Bopper's at 4:30 and enjoyed some good food before he went back to get the boys, and I went on ahead to get some ice for the cooler. I would meet them at the Walmart in 15 minutes.
    The plan was to head to Huron in my truck, and launch by 5:45. Now that the Sun isn't breaking the horizon until 6:15 we don't have to launch at 5:30 anymore. We can wait until 5:45 or 6am.

We launched right on time and headed north out of the river. The conditions this morning were pretty good, but it wasn't setting up to be one of the spectacular sunrises I'm used to seeing. I was hoping for a good one too, because they are all Facebook friends and see my "Good morning" posts with the sunrises, and I wanted them to see a sunrise in person, because it's always SO much better in real life.

As we headed north, I watched the Helix for the usual signs of life down below and found the marks I wanted to see out in 43 foot of water. I deployed the Ulterra and set it at power level 5. Then, turned on the 15 ETEC and locked it in the straight position. I use that to push the boat and steer with the Ulterra. Keeping the bow mount trolling motor at a lower power level will make it last all day. And, I can tweak the speed either by using the power levels on the Ulterra, or by using the conveniently located RPM button that sits on top of the tiller arm of the baby ETEC.

My crew had never used Dipsy Divers, Tru-Trip Jets, or Off Shore planer boards before, so after a quick lesson..."boot camp style", (because we had fish coming in one after the other)..they were running the lines like champs within the hour.

The program was the same as the last walleye trip out. Tru-Trip Jets at 90-100 back, Dipsies on the 1 setting at 61 back, the Dipsy on the 3 setting at 75 and 85 back, two Flicker Minnows out behind the Off Shore boards at 55 and 120 back, and two BayRats at 120 and 125 back behind Off Shores. Speed was 2.4-2.6mph.

The lake's conditions were nice today with waves 1' or less, and light winds out of the SE. The morning was foggy, but it lifted fast and cleared up by 8am. The rest of the morning was partly cloudy in the high 70's to the low 80's.

Since it was family, and they are all skinny folks, I broke my rule of only taking up to three people and took 4 of them. That gave us a 5 person limit of 30 walleye to take today, which we managed to catch....along with a few lost ones, and a couple of short ones that are still swimming.

Cousin Jim has a fascination with Sheepshead, so he was quite pleased to catch a few of those over the past two days too. He also wanted to catch a catfish, but they managed to elude our baits both days....oh well...I don't like their slime all over my carpet anyway, so I was okay with not seeing them. Seems like I catch one or two every trip out now, and they are getting bigger and bigger each year!

Our 30 walleye went 51 pounds at Port Clinton Fish...and, they told my guys that they had the biggest fish of the day...."so far"....so, that made them happy, which then made me happy....woot! woot!

Tomorrow, I have my regulars, Steve and Jeremy Champman. We'll be heading out from Mazurik's to find some walleye and then, maybe, some perch on the way back in.

Stay tuned....

Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018-jim-joe-matt-doug-7_23_24_2018img_1761-jpg Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018-jim-joe-matt-doug-7_23_24_2018img_1768-jpg Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018-jim-joe-matt-doug-7_23_24_2018img_1771-jpg Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018-jim-joe-matt-doug-7_23_24_2018img_1778-jpg Fishing with My Cousins 7/23-24/2018-jim-joe-matt-doug-7_23_24_2018img_1787-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thanks for the report Captain and nice looking box of walleye too! How far off shore were you fishing? If you don’t mind saying.

Thanks as always for the report. Don’t ever wish anyone a slow day. But since it happened the fact that you had trouble finding perch on Monday made me feel a whole lot better, since we did too! Had a friend in from out of state and felt bad I couldn’t at least put him on some perch

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Thanks for the report Captain and nice looking box of walleye too! How far off shore were you fishing? If you don’t mind saying.
    But, I did say......"43 foot of water". So, however far off shore it is, to get to 43 foot of water...that's how far I was.
    [email protected]

Default water depths

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    But, I did say......"43 foot of water". So, however far off shore it is, to get to 43 foot of water...that's how far I was.
    43 ft of water off of Huron isn't that far if you take in account that the lake is 4ft over low water datum , usually Juls gives up her spots, but in late July its a bit different burning up gas to find those pods, understandable....

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14830.shtml

Thanks for the report Juls.Question on the tru trip 40s you are running.Are you running them off the boards,or are they off rods on corners,like the dipsey rods?

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    43 ft of water off of Huron isn't that far if you take in account that the lake is 4ft over low water datum , usually Juls gives up her spots, but in late July its a bit different burning up gas to find those pods, understandable....

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14830.shtml
    I was in 43 foot of water per the reading on my Helix...not the map.
    [email protected]

Two Dipsies off each side....and one Tru-Trip off a corner that can be moved from side to side as fish come in. Sometimes I'll run two, but only with experienced trollers on board. Tangles can happen quickly, if you're not keeping an eye on them and tangles with Power Pro is a pain in the butt! You know what I'm talking about...
    [email protected]

Thanks juls,yes I know what happens when the braid tangles.Usually got to cut it out.We went out today (Thursday) and Windsurf blew the Forcast for today.We pretty much had 20 mph out of SW most of day.Tried to hide north of Marblehead and only caught one after an hour.Our captain thought we could hide SW of Lucy's point.But got beat up there too.Only got 5 fish all day.But luckily beat the storms that came in.Was thinking of trying a TT40 off the corner but tried another dipsey instead.At least we did not tangle anything.May try that TT40 next time.

That's why I say mono! A lot easier to un tangle, I don't think anyone can argue that. Use 17# stren you won't be sorry, it will trip a dipsey done it since 1980.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav