Snakebit in Canada Snakebit in Canada Snakebit in Canada Snakebit in Canada

Default Snakebit in Canada

We finally got to spend some time fishing in Canadian waters yesterday.My charter buddy has been telling me for weeks that the fish size is the same here and no reason to go that far.But still wanted to go,we all had our season licences.Our first two attempts were cancelled due to bad back.Last week we got to area west of west dock and set out lines.A squall line arrived and our 2ft or less turned into 3ftrs with a few 4s.Got to rough to troll after maybe 30min and one walleye and 4 farm animals.We left and his behind middle bass.Yesterday started by the line and made a long troll north toward same area as last week.Was running spoons on 2dipsey on 3 setting and harnesses off our 4 inline boards.Was picking up fish but couldn't find a pocket of fish and kept changing leads to find the right depth.The sonar looked great and saw bait balls near the bottom.After about 3and half hours was at 16 fish when captain said all our electronics shut off and he couldn't start other engine.He was afraid to switch the batteries from one to both,thinking he would shut off running engine????So we pulled gear and drove back home on one engine.Weather was beautiful and we did catch our limit....threw back several small legal fish...so not a complete bust.As coming in saw a coast guard helicopter practicing dropping a basket on another moving coast guard boat south of Kellies around 2pm.Maybe the bigger fish are East of Pelee?????

By the way.Our engine problem proved to be just a dead battery.When got to dock,switched over to both batteries and other engine started.As for the size of fish,got one fish that was around 21". But rest of them that clone 17" fish.Threw back several shorts and lost several pulling in without net and one where better knocked it off.I find it amazing that we are still catching 14 and 15 " fish from what I would believe are from the 2015 hatch.I can only attribute that to the lack of forage fish in the lake.We did see a lot of bait balls today and one 14" fish had 2 shiners in his throat when unhooking him.

When trolling on 1 engine you should probably be running on both batteries. The ALT will only be charging the battery for the running engine. That is why you lost your electronics when the battery died