Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks

Default Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks

Fished out of Black River Friday night and Saturday morning (June 15th and 16th).

Only fished for about 1.5 hours Friday and caught a bunch of shorts. Anywhere from 9 inches to 14.5. Called it an early night and headed over to Rockin on the River.

Left dock at 7:30 on Saturday and got right into some 20 inch walleye. Snapped off 3 Death Roll rigs on some big fish. Caught 16 eater size within 2 hours, and 1 Fish Ohio right at 28.5 inches. Changed things up a little bit and started fishing in 52 feet of water, with our harnesses at 42 foot. Got 2 huge bites on the last 2 death rolls I had on the boat. Snapped 1 off immediately, the second snapped off as soon as we got ready to net the lunker about 6 feet from the boat. Made up another rig with the last of the yellow willow blades I had on the boat, adding a steel leader to the last death roll hook I had. Caught a heavy 30 incher within 2 minutes of putting it out. Just to test my theory, I threw another crawler on and dropped it back to 42 feet again.....bam!!! Another 29+ inch walleye almost immediately.

Good news...they are loving the yellow death roll rigs! Bad news...death roll rigs are using too light of line and those sharp little walleye teeth are ripping them to shreds immediately.

Some other great news is that we marked a ton of perch on Saturday. More perch than I have seen on the screen in a long time. We caught two 9+ inch perch while drifting for walleye. I dropped the underwater camera to confirm my suspicions of those fish being perch (after we caught 2), and there were perch for a solid half mile. They were suspended about 17 feet off the bottom, but they were everywhere.

We headed Northwest out black river until we hit 51 feet of water when we noticed all of the perchy marks. Thought it was weird to see marks like that, but thought maybe the smaller walleye were congregating like perch. There were small walleye, white bass and sheephead hanging out with the perch, but not many. There were giant bait balls every couple of hundred feet about 8 feet above the perch. It was really cool to see that many perch in the Lorain area again. Hopefully those bait balls stick around for a while. Would be great to bring out minnows and crawlers and limit out on both species!Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks-2-fishohio-jpg

Great report and two nice fish there.

Great report, thanks for the info. Hoping the perch bite starts soon!

Any pics of this death roll rig. I think I know what your referring to just want to be certain
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    Any pics of this death roll rig. I think I know what your referring to just want to be certain
    I think Cabellas is the only one to sell this brand. I have seen others on the market. That crawler spins in a crazy fashion and I think drives those eyes crazy.

Lorain Fish Ohio Walleye and Remarkable Perch Marks-deathroll-jpg