Safety Inspection Safety Inspection Safety Inspection Safety Inspection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Safety Inspection

Hello all,

Most of you out there know all the rules like the back of your hand. I was visited by the ODNR when loading my boat yesterday eve at Catabwa. No big deal. At any rate, I found out my flares were expired. (Older than 4 years/3 boating seasons) Like I said, I am sure most of you out there know this, and consider this routine, but I bet there is a couple boaters out there who - pardon the pun- are in the same Boat as I.

So, now I am going to buy some new ones, if I can find some that are fresh "hopefully". I asked the officer if there is something else that is permitted. He mentioned an SOS light. Does anyone have any input on these? I know they would be for night time only so a flag would be required for day.

Fish -ON

Kent
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 05-26-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling error
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Hello all,

Most of you out there know all the rules like the back of your hand. I was visited by the ODNR when loading my boat yesterday eve at Catabwa. No big deal. At any rate, I found out my flares were expired. (Older than 4 years/3 boating seasons) Like I said, I am sure most of you out there know this, and consider this routine, but I bet there is a couple boaters out there who - pardon the pun- are in the same Boat as I.

So, now I am going to buy some new ones, if I can find some that are fresh "hopefully". I asked the officer if there is something else that is permitted. He mentioned an SOS light. Does anyone have any input on these? I know they would be for night time only so a flag would be required for day.

Fish -ON

Kent
    They are on sale this weekend at West Marine for $69, normally $99. They are USCG approved and do not expire.

Thanks, sounds like a good thing to buy and not a bad price for something that is going to last some valuable time.
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Read some reviews on these I seen a few that were not so good it's been a while though. 4 flares are about 20 bucks for 3 years ×3 is 60 bucks for nine years almost enough to pay for the power unit and eventually u need batteries. But safety comes before money of course so it depends on which is most reliable.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Yes, that is not a bad deal. I paid a lot more than $20.00 for the last flares I purchased. I am sure it was because of HazMat shipping I paid for mail order. Plus I doubt if they were "new" date wise, when I bought them. Cost doesn't bother me so much as does the expiration and that I will likely forget. I usually have some batteries stowed away so I ordered one from West Marine.

I will keep my old outdated flares for my next inspection and pull out my SOS light once they frown at my old flares.

Thanks
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 05-27-2018 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Default Flares

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Hello all,

Fish -ON

Kent
    Picked up a fresh 4 pack last month at Cabelas for around $30.

Thanks Dr. Ed!
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

I bought the SOS light a couple years ago, based on advice from a USCG officer I know. I do like it and this is what I was told. You have to buy new batteries for it every year and keep the receipt with you to prove they are new. Also, make sure not to leave it in the on position and run through your battery power.

I have never had to use a regular flare, but I'm told they make quite a mess on the deck and can even burn upholstery, so you have to hold them over the boat side when lit.

I already had a flag so to me the light is the best.
    Rickerd

Would a flare gun pass inspection?

Yes I think so, but flares also would have an expiration date too I would think.
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium