Salt or Alcohol to Preserve Emerald Shinners? Salt or Alcohol to Preserve Emerald Shinners? Salt or Alcohol to Preserve Emerald Shinners? Salt or Alcohol to Preserve Emerald Shinners?

Default Salt or Alcohol to Preserve Emerald Shinners?

Fellow Fishers, with the price of live bait now-a-days I would like to preserver the leftover bait for using on another trip. Do you have any suggestions or methods that seem to work for you when using for walleye and perch? Any help is deeply appreciated.

A neighbor uses Borax specifically 20 Mule Train Borax no special recipe fresh as can be damp sprinkle with the borax shake off excess bag 'um sprinkle some in the bag and seal and freeze 'em, probably try some this year.

Gene

I’ve done both Salt is very good and rubbing alcohol with Anna soil is fine as long as you keep them in the freezer and keep them on ice in your boat or they go to crap in a couple of hours ! So in short I prefer the salt but what I found is you have to hook them through the head that works best for me good luck tight lines

Default Alcohol 90

I have the best luck with isopropyl 90. Just pour in in a zip lock on top of your left over minnows and put them in the freezer. they come out a little tough which IMHO is better than fresh. Firmer minnows stay on better. i've caught 3 perch on the same minnow

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I use salt, (never tried alc). The minnows sort of dry to a leather like consistency and they stay on the hook for a long time....longer than when fresh. I've caught 3 or 4 fish using one salted minnow before changing. I bet a few may want to keep the salt along with some tequila on board just to see how things turn out .....