HillbillyEye HillbillyEye HillbillyEye HillbillyEye

Thread: HillbillyEye

Default HillbillyEye

Fished last 2 days with Playing Hooky for eyes.
    American Eagle area with a big pack of boats started off with just a few and then it kept on growing.
    Wind was at times to lite and the bite would die with with the wind. If we stayed in 27 foot of water the bite was much better.
    Had lots of other captains and boats i know in the area. Capt Rob Capt Gary were within 100 yards of us. We started off casting weapons with gold color and they produced as long as we had any wind. when the bite died down i started casting a yellow Domka Jig and that did the trick i caught my limit in just a few hours and the Boat limited out with 42 fish and 20 throwbacks by 2pm. We also caught 30 yellow Perch many of them were on yellow jigs 71 pounds at the cleaners.

The second day was the same not much wind and the bite the first 2 drifts was really slow then we got a little fog and moved a few hundred yards east of our drift line and picked up 18 on 1 short drift. Reef Robber Capt Rob was there and managed to land 3 fish over 29 inches on that drift with 1 over 30. We caught most of last years throwbacks in the 16 to 18 inch range with a few in the 20-22 inch range. We finished the day with our limit of 36 fish 44 pounds at the cleaners and a dozen jumbo yellow perch for our efforts. 1 nice channel cat also. over 200 farm animals for the 2 days trip.

Yellow (Perch) colored weapons and yellow Jigs were the most productive. We did manage to pick up several on Purple jigs still and i like Jig fishing so glad the cold spring allowed us to continue to jig this late into the season.

Again thank you all on this site that share information. it is a pleasure to read your adventures and it puts me in the boat with you whi;le i am reading your reports. Good luck and stay safe this Weekend.

Default American eagle

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyEye View Post
    Fished last 2 days with Playing Hooky for eyes.
    American Eagle area with a big pack of boats started off with just a few and then it kept on growing.
    Wind was at times to lite and the bite would die with with the wind. If we stayed in 27 foot of water the bite was much better.
    Had lots of other captains and boats i know in the area. Capt Rob Capt Gary were within 100 yards of us. We started off casting weapons with gold color and they produced as long as we had any wind. when the bite died down i started casting a yellow Domka Jig and that did the trick i caught my limit in just a few hours and the Boat limited out with 42 fish and 20 throwbacks by 2pm. We also caught 30 yellow Perch many of them were on yellow jigs 71 pounds at the cleaners.

The second day was the same not much wind and the bite the first 2 drifts was really slow then we got a little fog and moved a few hundred yards east of our drift line and picked up 18 on 1 short drift. Reef Robber Capt Rob was there and managed to land 3 fish over 29 inches on that drift with 1 over 30. We caught most of last years throwbacks in the 16 to 18 inch range with a few in the 20-22 inch range. We finished the day with our limit of 36 fish 44 pounds at the cleaners and a dozen jumbo yellow perch for our efforts. 1 nice channel cat also. over 200 farm animals for the 2 days trip.

Yellow (Perch) colored weapons and yellow Jigs were the most productive. We did manage to pick up several on Purple jigs still and i like Jig fishing so glad the cold spring allowed us to continue to jig this late into the season.

Again thank you all on this site that share information. it is a pleasure to read your adventures and it puts me in the boat with you whi;le i am reading your reports. Good luck and stay safe this Weekend.
    Fished the same area this morning and had my limit by 9 with a couple throwbacks. Gold mayfly rigs did it close to the bottom.