Engine trouble Engine trouble Engine trouble Engine trouble
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine trouble

Blog Entries

Does the engine restart immediately after it has stalled or do you have to crank it for a while for it to restart?

Blog Entries

If you want pm me and I can walk you thru a couple of possibilities to check

Blog Entries

I have not heard back from you so I will throw out a few possibilities.
    So if it is a Rochester 2 barrel carburetor you will want to take off the fire arrester and look down the carb you will need to hold the choke open with a small screwdriver next take the throttle cable loose so you can open and close the throttle . Look down the carb and when you open the throttle you should see two nozzles spraying fuel in a strong steady stream this will confirm your accelerator pump is working in the carb. Reattach the cable Now start the engine and let it idle for a few min (remember to pull the screwdriver out that you were holding the choke open first ) then shut off the engine this next step is a little tricky and you will most likely need a gasket to replace the old one they usually tear when removed , so pull the top of the carburetor off look in the float bowl for it to be about 3/4 full of fuel there should be two jets with small brass rods going thru the center of them these are your secondary jets that provide more fuel when accelerating and power demand is high they operate off of engine vacume and are spring loaded with the engine off and no vacume they will be in the up position and should easily push down with your finger they may be sticking in the down position which will mean you are not getting the fuel needed in open throttle . If you were not getting a good stream of fuel in the first step you can check the pump plunger this should be a round blue or red rubber plunger that looks like a bathroom plunger and works the same way as a toilet plunger check it for cracks or other damage if its bad replace it they come in the carb kit that will have the upper air horn gasket you will need I like to get them from napa auto parts they have the best carb kits in my experience and there cheaper than getting them from a marina.

As some others have said water and ethanol fuel can cause these components to start to stick which makes sense.
    Final thought
    Remember If the engine starts up and runs at idle and will move forward in gear at idle speed but dies when you are moving the throttle forward it sounds like an accelerator pump failure so check that first the carb number on a Rochester 2 barrel I believe is on the right side of the carb or when looking at it from the front will be on your left they will also have a tag on the top to identify it .

Great White Hunter, it's been a while just what were your troubles? I am sure all would like to know.

Gene

I'd like to thank every one for the advice. I ended up cleaning the carb good, turned up the idle a fuzz and put in some dry gas. Took it out today and ran great!

Blog Entries

Great! sorry about the super long reply but I get little passionate about Auto & Boat Repair