Big Planer Board Line Big Planer Board Line Big Planer Board Line Big Planer Board Line

Default Big Planer Board Line

I need to put new line on my planer board reels. Does anyone have any recommendations. I understand the mini clips slide down some lines much better than other lines.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am using Big Jon line at this time and I picked some last year but I have not used it to give it a recommendation. Maybe I am just
    procrastinating because it's that is the flo. orange which I dislike. Big Jon has served me well no breakage, twisting nothing!!
    Current line has all little fizzing in the first 6 to eight inches from its snap and its starting season 4. Weed Whacker line is definitely out of the question.

Gene

I’ve had good luck the past few years with Amish Outfitters 800lb planer line. Also, just tried DJ’s new big board planer clips and they are excellent. You add them to a pilgrim release, replacing the clothes line hook with DJ’s carabiner style clips and they are much easier to use. I also think the slightly heavier clip slides down the line better. They now have them at Hi-Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I need to put new line on my planer board reels. Does anyone have any recommendations. I understand the mini clips slide down some lines much better than other lines.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Amish outfitter 500lbs test line has been the best I have found....I have 2 rolls of berts line I would part with.

Thanks,

I ordered 2 - 200' sections of the 500# planner board line from Amish Outfitters.

I use their bags, I bought at Richards', for drifting and trolling. Their quality is twice any other bag out there that I have seen.

Thanks for the advice.

Hey there guys.

I have never used big boards with a tow line, but I watch you guys and I have a couple questions. I understand how the line clip is attached to the fishing rod and then to the lure being towed, but when you use the clip that looks like a shower curtain clip, how do you keep that clip from traveling all the way out to the planner board? It is just controlled by how much line is out of the reel between your clip point? Another question. Lets say you have a fish on one of the middle rods, and your line is released. Do you just leave that clip on the tow line and then move your next closer rod down a notch? Thanks for any lesson.. I am a life long student...
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 04-26-2018 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

You’re correct on both questions. The trick is that you attach a rubber band on the line after letting it out the desired length and then the release clip pinches that rubber band on one end and clips on the line with the other. You can then easily control how far down the tow line it goes with the reel. When it releases, the clip just slides down and is out of the way.

Thanks,, so when you say you attach a rubber band to the line,, do you mean the line from the fishing rod? If so, can you explain how you attach it? and then do you just pinch the rubber band in the squeeze clip, not the main line clip? This part confuses me a bit.. I an used to using the red pinch clips like an Offshore board has that clips to the line.

Again thanks for any input you can offer....

kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Blog Entries

I use weed trimmer line .065 Shakespeare.

The good

No bungee cords need. In rough seas the elasticity of the line handles the boards and water very well. I built the boards of Eyehunter's with the exception of the length there 52" long. The releases slide down the line easily and I have never had
    a line break.

The bad

If you want the tangle of all tangles let the line loosen on the reel. I'm told that aluminum reels are a must, eventually the line will blow apart plastic reels. I have also been told leaving the reels out in the weather causes UV issues.

All in all I'm happy with the performance especial the shock/snubber effect the line produces.

Kevin
    Fish Tales