Trolling with 40 jets and big boards Trolling with 40 jets and big boards Trolling with 40 jets and big boards Trolling with 40 jets and big boards
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Capt. Eric, pulling big boards and the rise in the towline will change how my crank gets into the water column by a few feet. My inside rod when attached to the release and down the towline I usually stop it a 5 to 6 feet off the water and use that 5 to 6 add
    to the line out, is this to much? Just calculate it just a couple of feet and forget about how far my release is off the water?

Gene

When we fished with Pooh Bear charter,he had big boards.He does not calculate the release is above the water when he determines the lead for that rod.Usually,what happens,is that we get a bite on a rod that is further from the boat.When we reel that line in with a fish or not,we move all the closer lines out further.To take the place of the line we just brought in.Then we reset the line we brought in and clip it to the cord and that line is now closest to boat.

Quote Originally Posted by BtweenShots View Post
    Capt. Eric, pulling big boards and the rise in the towline will change how my crank gets into the water column by a few feet. My inside rod when attached to the release and down the towline I usually stop it a 5 to 6 feet off the water and use that 5 to 6 add
    to the line out, is this to much? Just calculate it just a couple of feet and forget about how far my release is off the water?

Gene
    Your tow line is 5 or 6 feet above the water? Any way to bring that down? I don't compensate for that at all, because eventually my inside rods might become my outside rods, as they get moved down the towline....

I can adjust my towline height from about 3 ft to 13 ft above the water, just by pulling a leash line. Can easily lift baits higher in the water if i see marks getting higher.

One of these days, i'll get a video put together to demonstrate. Other than that, i posted before, and i'll say it again - open invitation to all - call me, if I'm here, walk down to my boat. I'll be more than happy to show you what i do and try to answer any questions!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I may be a bit over exaggerating but I usually let more rod line out to where it is just a foot or so above the water but just when its close to the side of the boat let say the first five feet of tow line it seem to be that five feet down to the water. I'll check it out.

Thanks,
    Gene

I've always felt the published dive curve for the trutrip 40 is incorrect. Graph it in excel and you'll see what I mean. Since the trutrip #40 is my go to diver for spoons and big boards, I just ordered a Fishhawk TD to develop my own dive curve. I'll determine the true dive curve and will post it back to this thread if it's significantly different than the one Capt Eric posted.

I may be wrong here but a fish hawk td is about 3oz in weight. I would think if you pulled this behind any diver it will give you a false diving depth.

Won't it be like putting a 3 oz sinker behind your diver????

Not to mention the drag that thing is going have it.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

To test a running depth, you set the spoon and diver back the distance you want to test. You clip the FishHawk TD to the line and let it go. When you see it ‘thud’, it has reached the diver. Trip it and reel in. Max depth will be the depth the diver was running.
    Last edited by dgf2250; 04-10-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Error

I can't wait to see if there is any differences. I'm sure the unit reads it's depth and temp right. Just have a hard time seeing adding 3 oz of weight anywhere on the line not causing a depth reading to be a little deeper. I can see it not effecting dipseys as much but on a tt40 or 40 jet I can't see it not effecting it.

The Web says it's 2.7oz 3 oz sinker at 2.0 mph, back 50 ft will be about 22.......so that thing on it's own would get close to that. I just can't see if I had 40tt at 50 back already running in that same 22ft area that if I clipped a 3 oz sinker to the line and let it slide down to jet that the jet wouldn't diver deeper. Maybe I'm thinking about wrong

Hopefully others will have input
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 04-10-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Blog Entries

I have one of these, the issue is it reads depth in (5) foot increments. Some days I believe four feet can make a difference.

Fish Tales

The manual for the TD says it goes to the foot for ‘max depth mode’. If that’s not true, this will be a bust. Nearest five feet is not adequate to develop a dive curve. I found discussion in another site where a guy doing the same thing I intend to do found it to be nearly neutrally buoyant when trolled. I think it dove to 5 feet 100 back. I’m counting on that being true. It is a 2.7 oz plastic device and is not as dense as a lead weight. I actually expect it’s drag to pull stuff higher, not deeper. We’ll see. If that manual is not correct about reading max depth to the nearest foot, I’m going to be upset