using weights  snap or inline to get crank baits down using weights  snap or inline to get crank baits down using weights  snap or inline to get crank baits down using weights  snap or inline to get crank baits down

Default using weights snap or inline to get crank baits down

1st year trying to troll on Erie. using DDHJ-12 and bandit Deep walleye cranks. If I would ever need to get them to run deeper how does one calculate the snap or inline weights and line leads to get approximate desired depths. I've seen all kinds of posts about leads and I have precision trolling data book and app. I see the 50-50 method for harnesses. just don't see a lot about using weights and cranks. I've posted below from cabelas website. anyone find this to be accurate?

Snap-Weighting Crankbaits

Placing just a 1-oz. snap weight 20 ft. in front of your favorite crankbait increases the diving depth of that lure about 30%. For a typical crankbait that dives 15 ft., 1-oz. of extra weight increases the diving depth to 20 ft. Using snap weights there, is no limit to how deep an angler can fish his favorite crankbaits.
    Last edited by bdrieck; 03-29-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Right in the Precision Trolling book they have a small part of page on it... they say 33% additional from the standard curve.

I've never used it, but have to assume it is like lead core line I do use a lot on Lake Michigan for salmon... you do have to realize it is speed dependent. Slow down too much and obviously it starts to sink. Speeding up and it goes the other direction.

First off thanks for the add. Lots of great info on this site.
    I'm no expert on this subject. A couple u tube videos I've watched. ( weights and crankbaits ) explain this.
    .25 Oz = 1 ft. A 1oz weight =4ft extra. And so on.
    So a 10 12ft. P10. Add 2 oz of weight now gets to 20 ft.
    I'm sure speed and line diameter may affect this but I use it as a guide. Easy for me to calculate in my head while 20 other things are going on.
    You can check this with you linecounters, depth finder, speed, and weights. Just add weight till your crank hits bottom. 10 ft crank in 20 ft of water. going 1 mph. = ft drop per oz.
    Good luck.

Most of the better trolled add either 1 or 2oz snap on sinker 20ft behind crank then more line till get your desired depth.The total line out from crank to board on dive chart is depth of lure,then add 4ft/1oz to that to get depth of lure.That is a good starting point on depth.Another consideration,especially during this early spring is when trolling very slow,the weight pulls the crank even deeper.Had dive chart of 1.0,1.5 and 2.0mph and you get a lot deeper at that 1.0mph speed.A lot of variables on where your lures are running.That is why you want to cover the water column initially with your lines before you find depth fish are active.

What type of weight system are most guys using? I've only experimented with them a little and just used rubber bands with torpedo type lead weights. I know there must be a better way.

There are many methods to use weights. There are snap clips, like those offered from offshore. The good is they just clip on and off, but the clips are really cheap at 12 buck or so a pair. The bad is the cost, especially if dropped overboard, they can slip on braid. I think cables and bass pro have a house brand system and clips that do the a similar function for less than an offshore snap weight kit.

Snakebite makes another version of clip, I have never used or know the cost, but it's going to be a few dollars each and drop them and there it goes.

The rubber bands work well even with braids, just wrap the line around your hand a few times and a simple loop knot and your good to go. The bad is you have to break or cut it off, I prefer to cut cause it does jar the line......just don't cut the line....if dropped it's just a few cents for the sinker and a bag of bands is only a few bucks for more than a year of fishing for most ppl.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 03-30-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Using any weighted system, boat speed is always the first thing to adjust a weights dive level.
    But, trolling with/against/across Lake Erie currents also changes the dive curve. So you could calculate and guess your dive depth. Add in your line type/size.
    IMHO, a faster. more accurate way is to...
    Get your boat at your wanted trolling speed. Attach a 2 or 3 oz weight to the snap on the end of your line. Lightly thumb spool (in free spool mode) till your weight touches bottom. That right there typically will put you 3-4 ft above bottom once the weight matches boat speed. Depth of the weight.
    Any more line and will probably having your deep diving bait touch/snag bottom. Reel up a couple feet. That will be your max lineout. Divide that lineout into how many rods. Now you are able to cover the water column. Adjust lineout as required. Depending on where you place a snap weight 10,20,50ft a deep diver will typically 6 to 12ft max deeper than the weight.
    Doesn't matter if you are using snap weights or inlines or dropper weights. Works the same. Just a slight difference in how much deeper a bait dives than the weight due to the line past the weight.
    Once you learn/remember your average lines out. You will know what to set everything to when headed out.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.