Garmin Tr-1 good or bad? Garmin Tr-1 good or bad? Garmin Tr-1 good or bad? Garmin Tr-1 good or bad?

Default Garmin Tr-1 good or bad?

I am seriously considering putting a Garmin tr-1 on my 272 sportcraft with a 9.9 Yamaha. Anybody with experience with the Tr-1 please provide your opinion on the setup and if it would be a good fit for my boat.

I had garmin tr-1 on my grady white 208. It was the best option on the boat, including the mates, rods, and itroll ! I sold boat and wouldn't think of going out on lake in my new boat without garmin a.p. Just push a couple buttons and you can make a 5,10,15 or 30 minute circle, port or starboard. Zig_zag, figure 8, man overboard, navigate from anywhere to any where. Or, just hold course while you troll on or travel to or from. Very easy to use . Idiot proof. Don't hesitate...do it. You won't regret it.
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    200 Yamaha & 9.9 Yamaha
    Garmin 741xs plotter and finder with CHIRP
    Autopilot
    ITroll with hunt mode

Is the throttle cable flexible how well does it store away when you're not using it? Did it hold course in rougher conditions?

[QUOTE=walleyewarrior Did it hold course in rougher conditions?[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with the TR-1, but holding course in rougher seas would be my concern. I have a 25' Sportcraft, with a 9.9 Yamaha ( high thrust ) kicker, and sometimes i may have to hit the throttle boost , momentarily, to bring the boat back on coarse, in rough conditions. I 'm using a Panther T-4 ( electric throttle & steer ),no GPS, but other then an occasional course adjustment in rougher seas , it performs flawlessly.

I think anytime you use a smaller kicker that sooner or later in rougher water you will have to make a course correction. Especially when going slow. I would question on if a 9.9 is big enough for 272, might think about a 15.

One thing I learned on my boat with a kicker is when I slow down control is less. It does better havin 2 little bags out and the motor back up in the rpms a little
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

I agree. An ap can do a lot but it can't alter physics. If you are quartering into a goodly wind , it is asking an awful lot to expect a 9.9 to overcome the wind force at trolling speed. Even with your hand on the wheel i.e no ap, if it is rough enough you're gonna have to bump it up.
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    200 Yamaha & 9.9 Yamaha
    Garmin 741xs plotter and finder with CHIRP
    Autopilot
    ITroll with hunt mode

It is a 9.9 high output essentially the same engine at the Yamaha 15