Mono vs. Flouro ??? Mono vs. Flouro ??? Mono vs. Flouro ??? Mono vs. Flouro ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mono vs. Flouro ???

Not talking about braid.... just leaders for the big board trollers, or main line for the inline guys - MONO or FLOURO ??? And why ??? GO !!!!!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

We use Maxima 15lb green mono for our inline boards.Switched to Seaguar fluorocarbon 17lb for our leaders.Have power pro 30lb braid on dipsey reels.

I pull small boards and I use mono with 0.014” diameter to align with the dive curves. Line with that diameter is 10 point trilene XT, 12 pound trilene big game, 12 pound Sufix Siege, and 16 pound Sunline. I run fluoro leaders for dipseys, tru trips, and harnesses. I use 20 pound Berkley fluoro.

What I'm looking for is WHY use fluoro over mono, or vise versa.... I run 20# Trilene XT leaders..... decent stretch, low cost, the low vis green seems to disappear well in Lake Erie, also think the abrasion resistance is even better than fluorocarbon.....but probably the biggest reason - I have confidence in it. For 20+ years it's done exactly what i need it to do.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

fluro is much less visible under water than mono. its just that simple. i use 20# seaguar premier leader for fishing erie with braid for my main line on lite bite slide divers. i don't use the slide on them i just like the lite bite feature.

just for an example we fished Manistee lake in mi for salmon. we did what was called line fishing. you cast out and the fish swimming around with there mouths open gets the line in there mouth and you reel until the hook gets to the fish then you set the hook. you can fish all day and never get a run. as soon as it gets dark the fun begins. they see the line during day light but cant see it after dark. that's with mono but I've never tried it with fluro.
    Last edited by sherman51; 02-13-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Eric, I use fluoro for leaders and spinners because it is stiffer and more abrasion resistant, especially on spinners. I’d be worried about a small nick on mono but don’t worry too much about several nicks on spinners. I have confidence in the fluoro and that’s the reason I use it. I can’t argue with you using mono. If it works, keep doing it.

For Lake Erie...especially Western Basin I don't think it matters. Water is not clear enough to require flouro. I believe for us in the western end it's more of a personal preference. You said the most important thing...confidence!

Surprised so many use mono with their inline boards. I use braid and have no line breaks. I suppose the main reason some use mono is less slipping?

Sorry Eric, didn't mean to hijack. I use mono leaders over fluro.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    fluro is much less visible under water than mono. its just that simple. i use 20# seaguar premier leader for fishing erie with braid for my main line on lite bite slide divers. i don't use the slide on them i just like the lite bite feature.

just for an example we fished Manistee lake in mi for salmon. we did what was called line fishing. you cast out and the fish swimming around with there mouths open gets the line in there mouth and you reel until the hook gets to the fish then you set the hook. you can fish all day and never get a run. as soon as it gets dark the fun begins. they see the line during day light but cant see it after dark. that's with mono but I've never tried it with fluro.
    Isn't that called flossing?
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

i use flouro 20lb for leaders no certain brand because its supposed to be tougher extra cost not to bad if just using for leaders think mono is fine biggest thing is checking for damage on them now and then especially after a tangle . on my salmon gear i only use flouro line gets wrapped around your downrigger cables or wire dipsey rods sometimes landing fish think it just holds up better .when i run inline boards 12-17 lb mono direct to crank bait