Flare Kit Flare Kit Flare Kit Flare Kit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flare Kit

Default Flare Kit

I will be making my first trip to Erie in May. I am looking for suggestions on a flare kit to purchase. I am in a 620 Ranger. So I need day and night signal flares. I think? Thanks

The Flares are ok'd for day or night use. You just need a three pack. They do expire so it sometimes best to buy local. You can try to find the longest before expire in the store. You also need a throwable life preserver. The square types with handles will work. I had to tell my boat insurance that I will be on the Great Lakes. You might want to check on that. Cell service is a little iffy on Lake Erie. For safety you would want a marine radio. Unlike allot of Lakes people still talk about fishing allot on the Erie marine radio.

Whatever you purchase, check the expiration dates. I have seen flare kits at Walmart that expire in just a couple of months from the purchase date. Most kits should expire about three years from date of purchase. You may need a complete safety kit that includes flares, whistle, distress flag, etc. Don't forget throwable flotation device as well as life jackets for all people onboard and fire extinguisher(s). The ODNR free boating manual available at sporting goods stores and local DMV license bureaus can be helpful.

Thanks for the information. I have the throwable flotation and also marine band radio. I also have anchor and rope. I will check with insurance company.

I bought a set at Wal-Mart with gun once they were already expired you have to watch them. You can usually see the date on them through the package

I seen flares in PC Walmart the last week of January and they expired feb. 2017. Glad I check the dates first.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosechaser View Post
    I will be making my first trip to Erie in May. I am looking for suggestions on a flare kit to purchase. I am in a 620 Ranger. So I need day and night signal flares. I think? Thanks
    If you have an ELECTRONIC FLARE sos distress light you will not need to purchase flares. Almost all marine stores carry them. There are youtube videos also with more information on them too.
    Flare Kit-img_1840-jpg

Nice thing about electronic distress is no hassle in Canada over flare guns

don't forget to get towing insurance for lake erie. I got towing and trailer assist from boatus.com. they have good prices and service. I started getting towing insurance a few yrs ago and its already paid off for me. I was going out of Geneva oh and blew the outdrive. I called boat us on my cell phone and they did the rest. the tow boat showed up and towed us in and all I had to do was show him my card and sign my name. the tow was 600.00 but didn't cost me a dime. lake erie is no place to be broke down.

X2 on the Towing Insurance!!! This topic alone deserves its own thread. Just Do It!!!

Less than $80 per year most times for unlimited boat tow. I have never used it but ..... my time will come. I still consider it to be worth every penny just for piece of mind. Especially when I have less than seasoned guests onboard.

Told an old friend to buy it last year, he laughed. First time out last year, 2 miles out of Huron and he lost all power. $600 on the credit card. bet he buys it now.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden