New Boat & Gear Setup Question New Boat & Gear Setup Question New Boat & Gear Setup Question New Boat & Gear Setup Question

Default New Boat & Gear Setup Question

I recently acquired a Pursuit S 280 CC. My previous boats have not been suitable to do any fishing other than drift. That said, I am looking for an existing thread on the topic of outfitting my boat with the required gear to catch walleye. Basically everything I would look to purchase; rods/reels and all to have a successful day trolling.

The boat has two 250s, and all the required tech.

I'm sure this conversations exists, but I have not been successful locating it. However, if someone wants to suggest a few brands/items that would be appreciated too. A 101 topic on trolling the western basin would be also be helpful.

Thank you!

WOW !!!! When everyone here just gets done reading this you will probably get swamped. Here is where I would start. First would be rod holders. They are made by many from the least expensive SCOTTY to hi end CISCOS. Rods and reels, rods probably from
    6 1/2 to 7 1/2 feet with medium action. Reels should be Line Counters for sure they could be OKUMA or DIAWAS and many others.
    I use Shakespeare Ugly Stiks and Okuma reels, mine are Magda Pro 20's they are like a timex watch.

Question is do you want to use boards or just flat line? Those who pull boards use Big Boards or Inline Boards search their usage and determine just what you want to use. To flat line you can use Luhr Jensen's Dipsy Divers or Jet Divers. Luhr's Jets are now being
    duplicated but improved with a release on it by others such as True-Trip and Tripz's. Go with the size 40 on any of which you choose.

Baits, here we go. Probably the current Rapala DDH12's, Bandits, and Reef Runner surely in the spring and eventually changing to
    spoons by Michigan Stinger Scorpions (most available in the WB)and then to any form of worm harnesses for those fish that are being in those that want meat (make your own) and then when fall comes into play start with the cranks allover again.

Just my short synopsis for sure, and there will be those out there to fill in what I may have missed. As with the saying about the boat
    you know B.O.A.T. can be applied to fishing etc.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by BtweenShots View Post
    WOW !!!! When everyone here just gets done reading this you will probably get swamped. Here is where I would start. First would be rod holders. They are made by many from the least expensive SCOTTY to hi end CISCOS. Rods and reels, rods probably from
    6 1/2 to 7 1/2 feet with medium action. Reels should be Line Counters for sure they could be OKUMA or DIAWAS and many others.
    I use Shakespeare Ugly Stiks and Okuma reels, mine are Magda Pro 20's they are like a timex watch.

Question is do you want to use boards or just flat line? Those who pull boards use Big Boards or Inline Boards search their usage and determine just what you want to use. To flat line you can use Luhr Jensen's Dipsy Divers or Jet Divers. Luhr's Jets are now being
    duplicated but improved with a release on it by others such as True-Trip and Tripz's. Go with the size 40 on any of which you choose.

Baits, here we go. Probably the current Rapala DDH12's, Bandits, and Reef Runner surely in the spring and eventually changing to
    spoons by Michigan Stinger Scorpions (most available in the WB)and then to any form of worm harnesses for those fish that are being in those that want meat (make your own) and then when fall comes into play start with the cranks allover again.

Just my short synopsis for sure, and there will be those out there to fill in what I may have missed. As with the saying about the boat
    you know B.O.A.T. can be applied to fishing etc.

Gene
    Wow, thank you Gene.

Re: rod holders - the boat has several integrated into it. Are these more to add capacity or do they offer some sort of action required to troll?

Re: Board or flat. I think I understand the question, and my response would certainly be both! What type of line would I use on reels? I can dig into this via youtube, but just curious how far out are the lines? And if using a board, how is the depth of the bait established?

I should note for perspective, I am a lifelong fly fishermen and very limited fishing experience with this type of equipment. Always been a boater (have captain license), but just never made time to get lines out. I'm obviously committed to changing that! Thank you for the input, this will be helpful.

WOW !! What a boat is all I can say. The diagram I seen it looks to be 3 holders per side, those would work with inline boards on each side to start. It looks like the orig. holders direct all rods to the stern bummer for sure. I run big boards and have Tite-Lok triple deck mount on a track each side, someone makes a gimbal mount that slides into your current holders (probably the center one looks like a good starting place. Easy to pull out one with three holders on it and store. Check out websites for Tite-Lok, Big Jon, and Cisco and I am sure each have some sort of gimbal mnt. and triple holders also.

Line, keep it simple just a good mono and fluorocarbon for leaders off dipsy's and jets. As for line out that depends on application you are using which could be up to 200 feet per rod. Todays hot crank is the Bandit Deep Walleye needs 197 feet out to reach its
    maximum depth of 27 feet down without the assistance of inline/snap wts. (that's another story in itself). Oh! I forgot mono should be 17 to 20 lbs. an fluoro leaders in the 15 lb. should do. Your line counter reels will need to be calibrated also there are a number of videos on you tube to help with that. Easier to see them than describe here.

Now the biggie, establish depth of bait only one place to go "Precision Trolling Data" by Mark Romanack on the internet he now has
    a place to buy his "APP" for your phone it cost $99 for life and you can search for the info you need be it lure, divers, weights etc.
    and it updates when lures become available. I have heard and seen it posted in the forum as to be the IT to go to. Who me? I don't
    even own a cell phone.

Before I go, I am sure others will agree with me but take a couple of charters. I know that 2 captains here Skipper 9 he runs big boards and Capt. Juls she runs inline boards.

Gene

the best thing to do is ride along with someone and see how things work then apply and adjust to your boat if you start catching try to repeat whats working depth-speed-direction-lure color -how far out if you would like to ride along sometime just let me know cannot have to many fishing friends

Sometimes those built in rod holders do not work the best while trolling. They do not angle the rods out to the side enough. The three vertical rod trees work very nice. With Cisco or traxtech making nice ones. These are more for trolling planer boards. I like the track systems so you can move stuff around. The vertical trees normally are mounted middle of the boat. Really keeps the back end clear for fighting and netting fish. I think they do make mounts that go into your exiting rod holders and hold track systems. A lot of charters fish with 16 lb Sunline mono. It is close to the same diameter that the Precision trolling app uses for their depth charts. Precision trolling does sell stickers with dive charts on them. If you do not have a smart phone or want to buy the app. Some stores have the stickers or you can order them from their website. These would be nice slide some rod holders on http://shop.traxstech.com/Gimbal-Mou...ack-GM-180.htm
    Last edited by Snowking; 03-13-2017 at 06:36 PM.

I sure you will need trolling socks to get your trolling speed down. The Amish outfitters beefy bags work well. They are not the cheapest but built heavy duty. Some people like to use smaller ones one on each side. I helps balence the steering out instead of a bigger bag on one side. Make sure you get trolling socks (bags) not drift socks. The drift socks will tear apart trolling with them.