Planer Boards  ??? Planer Boards  ??? Planer Boards  ??? Planer Boards  ???
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Planer Boards  ???-img_20170113_072653814-jpg

Lots of good info here!!! I was in your position at this time last year. I purchased a few sets of both Offshore and Church to learn with. I ended up preferring Offshore but like them both. Being very tight, I passed on the $10 tattle kit and made my own. Rubber bands are a must, imo, for adjustment to your liking and also be aware of the tension on the flag screw. I used a flat washer and a steel leader with ends removed as in picture above.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

I don't have any photos, but a few years ago I lowered the rear eyelet from the upper part of the board where there is a hole and most everyone installs the eyelet for use with the tattle flag. Then put a new hole on the back side directly across from where the eyelet originally used to be on the front side. If that makes sense. And it does make a small difference in how the board rides in the water. Is it worth doing? Maybe. Running heavier weights like 3oz etc. You end up having a bit more of the board showing out of the water than using the higher position. The flag still works as it should, no change there. If I was setting up another 10 or 12 boards, I would make them all this way. You will have to remove the black plastic flag holder/store position ( I never used those anyway). The rubber band can take that job if you need.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

We also took the eyelet up front lowered and moved it to the rear side of the board. Took the weight out, cut the plastic stop in front of the weight out (this takes some time with the dremel),moved the weight as far forward as it can go, redrill the hole for the retaining screw, and I was able to pull 40 true trips. The boards did run a little lower in the water, but had a nice run, not nose high, I do not run the tattles, but leave the flags up. I might try to run the tattles with that bigger band, just ran out of time last year to play with them

Ebijack, Offshore adopted your idea of lowering the rear clip. Last year they did it on their bigger boards and now, if you check out their website, their OR12 boards have a lower rear clip. I modified my old boards to try them.

Off Shore has addressed the issues stated previously in this thread. They redesigned the flag arm, and added more holes going up the side of the flag arm. The higher up on the arm you go the more tension you will have.

The Tattle Flag wire is now angled down towards the middle of the board, instead of straight to the back, to help keep the board more level when pulling deep diving cranks.

The weight can be moved forward or back for that reason too.

If you already have OST boards, you don't need to run out and buy new boards to achieve this. The older boards can work too. You would just need to buy the flag replacements...for the new design. The eyelet for the TTF wire can be moved down, by drilling a little hole where it shows in the picture I provided.

I run my Off Shore boards with the Snapper Release (OR-18) on the front arm, because they are easy to operate in the cold when my hands are frozen and stiff.... and an OR-16 on the back. That release has a pin in the center of the pad, and as along as you put the line behind the pin, you're never going to be chasing an escapee board.

I went back for one board this past season, and that was due to line breakage on a monster sheep head, not because the release let go.

Anyway, just thought I would let you know about the new features on the Off Shore boards, in case you hadn't heard about this yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images Planer Boards  ???-screen-shot-2017-01-13-6-40-54-pm-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

church walleye boards if ur pulling 3..4...5.oz inlines ...or hard pullin divers...

I might have to try a few of those new flags, at only 3 bucks each that worth trying.

I would love to get to be able to not just fun my flags with my deep cranks, but run them on my tt, and have the tension still light enough to show my when a have 14 inch walleye ot small perch is on, I am sure we will have another season of the shorts. But it's a great sign for the next 10 plus years to come.

If you would like to see the improvments to Offshore boards go to their site they have a video on it.
    Dennis
    Last edited by D.D.E.; 01-15-2017 at 11:01 AM.