Big board vs Offshore Big board vs Offshore Big board vs Offshore Big board vs Offshore

Default Big board vs Offshore

New here, but been reading LOTS of posts and gathering as much info as possible. I have been using Offshore boards with some success, although getting better. My question is, should I be using big boards instead? Have a Glastron 233 WA with T-top, would be easy to install big boards. I have used big boards on a friends boat, so I know how to use them (no expert by any means!). Also, if I should switch to big boards, any recommendations on brand, DIY, size, etc.

Thanks to everyone for posting a lot of great info on this forum. I enjoy reading all the posts every night.

BTW: did some night fishing Friday, we got five in the boat. All jigging 10 fow. Not a limit, but not a skunk either!!!!

I use my big boards 99.9% of the time just a lot easier system for me. I use Amish Outfitters white boards 500# line on reels,I have a set I made from red wood. I know a lot of guys and( gals) use Offshore boards. I would say stick with what you have until you are really ready to switch.

I'm no expert at this, I have big board's an if a fish hits the high outside leed ,I don't know how to replace it, without tearing the other rods down, unless your running all the same leeds, then just slide them out. I don't have offshore boards ,but see that you can fish one back into that spot, I considered going your way. But I'm still very new to this card game. I built my own boards an mast, an enjoy tinkering with them, that's part of the experience for me, I been getting great information from the guy's on here, and in the process of weighting my boards more .

Hello Echo! Welcome and thanks for posting.

My opinion is just one of many, but if you are proficient and catching the fish you want on Offshores then stick with them. There are definite advantages and disadvantages to both.

Large boards get more lines out (typically) because they are further away from the boat. The fact that they are further away and more lures means that you are covering more water than with Offshores. Running big boards with 5-6 guys onboard means that you can run 10-12 lines fairly easy. 10-12 lines allows you to set 3 lines at 4 different depth. So, you can have 3 lines at 85'; 3 @ 70'; 3 @ 55; and 3 @ 40'. If you are 100 feet wide out each side, you are now covering 200' width and lures at multiple water column depths... Once you start catching at a specific depth or two, then you can dial the rest in to those numbers...

Being that wide also eliminates the theory that as you drive over fish while trolling that they swim away from your boat, left and right... Now they can swim 100' away as you drive over them and you still have lures out there.

However, if you are trolling by yourself or 1-2 other guys most of the time and only running 2-6 rods, then big boards may be overkill. There are plenty of tournament guys and charter captains in smaller boats that run Offshores and do just fine.

Big boards can be a real pain to run by yourself, but you can't beat them if you have a few guys with you.

-Matt

Thanks for the info. Will keep using Offshore boards for now.

It is a personal preference on which to use. But also, if you prefer trolling slower speeds, crawler harnesses, bouncers/inlines. IMHO, inline boards are a much better tool to get the job done. As far as running more lines with big boards. Yes if you typically run 16-22 lines, go big boards and use jets, slide diver as a diving controller. If you fish with someone who is experienced with inline boards, running 10 boards/5 per side is pretty easy. I've done more, but folks getting ahold of the correct rod with a fish on can become a problem. It is easier using rod trees to run that many, but not required. And you can reset any board at any time when set up properly. Typically when running inline boards, there will also be 2 downrods/bouncers no boards which takes the total to 12 lines when using 10 inline boards.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Think I'll stick to inline boards for now, until I gain more experience. This is my first year with my own boat; until this year I've been going with a friend on his boat. Going out again Tuesday, going to try trolling all day, no jigging. There will only be three of us in the boat so running three boards per side is no problem. Thanks for all the insight.