Sandusky Bay Walleye Sandusky Bay Walleye Sandusky Bay Walleye Sandusky Bay Walleye

Default Sandusky Bay Walleye

The Sandusky River has a small spawning run that will hopefully grow larger once the Ballville Dam is removed. This means there is a population of walleye that migrate from the open lake through the Sandusky Bay to the river and then back to the open lake after spawning. I've read that this spawning occurs a couple weeks earlier than the Maumee and open lake spawns. I suspect that it might be possible to troll the deeper (what is that 6-8 feet in the Bay?) channels in Sandusky Bay with a spread of shallow diving crankbaits on short leads and maybe have some success targeting post spawn fish. Maybe this would work on a weekend such as this where the conditions on the lake make it unfeasible to work the traditional areas like the firing range. Around the reefs, the conventional wisdom is that the females spawn and hang out for a while feeding while they recover their strength before migrating east. Around the reefs, these fish seem to be in 20+ fow, so maybe the bay is not a good place to hang around for these fish. Maybe they immediately seek deeper water (which would make the area between Cedar Point and Marblehead prime waters) I was just curious whether anyone has ever tried this? I've considered doing it myself, but have never been able to get myself to spend the time trying it when I see so many good reports out of Catawba. Perhaps there's people who do this, have success, and stay tight lipped?

I was talking to someone this summer who has cottage on the bay and they were talking about how back in the 80's, they would not have to leave the bay until June because they could catch their limits within a mile of their docks. This is what got me thinking about this.

I've had these same thoughts and have heard of people catching them in the bay in May and June trolling. People catch them in the fall on their way to the river so you should be able to catch them on their way out. I tried last May with no luck but good marks in the shipping channel. Just haven't wanted to waste time there when I know for sure they are further west. Wish I had more time to fish the bay and find out though.

I have caught them from the edison bridge to cedar point in their return from the river spawn. Its a very short time span but if you hit it right its good fishing. You will miss more then connect.