Burbot in Lake Erie? Burbot in Lake Erie? Burbot in Lake Erie? Burbot in Lake Erie?

Default Burbot in Lake Erie?

I am just wondering if anyone has ever caught or seen a Burbot in Lake Erie?
    I realize that if you ha e it was probably not in the Western Basin, but the little bit that I do know about the fish suggests that it could maybe be caught during ice fishing or maybe in 40 degree water.

i was fishing at my dock off my boat and caught a fish and did not know what it was i took it back to baitshop and was told it was a burbot they put it in a minnow tank and they told me they lost it. a week later they found it behind the tank it must of jumped out. this was years ago

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Burbot are now fairly common in Lake Erie. Yes, they are not usually found in the Western Basin since their preferred habitat is deeper and cooler water. Yes, they are occasionally caught in the Western Basin during winter, spring, or fall when the water temperatures are cooler. Shore fisherman sometimes catch them in the Central and Eastern Basins. So if you catch a fish that doesn't look anything like a walleye or other common Western Basin fish, it has a long dorsal fin and a rounded tail and brown / green color with a black blotch pattern or modeling and a few small barbels on the front of the head (like a catfish) it is probably a Burbot.

Info: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-...ex/fish/burbot
    Last edited by West Basin; 04-02-2016 at 07:39 AM. Reason: add info

Thanks for the replies. West Basin, I've heard that they are good to eat too and the research I've found online suggests the same. It intrigues me that I've never heard of them being caught. We get the occasional Steelhead in the western basin, I've seen Long Nose Gar that have been caught over here, I've "heard" of the allusive Muskie being caught, etc.. But never even knew Burbot where in the Lake.

Rscotfish, where was your dock?

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Thanks for the replies. West Basin, I've heard that they are good to eat too and the research I've found online suggests the same. It intrigues me that I've never heard of them being caught. We get the occasional Steelhead in the western basin, I've seen Long Nose Gar that have been caught over here, I've "heard" of the allusive Muskie being caught, etc.. But never even knew Burbot where in the Lake.

Rscotfish, where was your dock?
    They are also called Ling Cod and Eelpout although Eelpout is accepted in some circles and considered a different species in others. Burbot resembles a Bowfin in several ways and can be confused by some due to this resemblance.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

There are quite a few fish species in Lake Erie that recreational fisherfolks rarely see. When you're out on the water you never know what might be swimming under or near your boat.

Burbot are very good tasting, but I've never had any. Eelpout are a saltwater species but since they resemble burbot freshwater folks in some locations call burbot eelpout. It's not uncommon, as most fisherfolks know, the same fish species can have numerous local names. I've seen and heard arguments about it but usually just keep my mouth shut. We won't get into the pickerel vs. walleye debate... :-)

Cisco, whitefish, and a host of smaller fish are still found in Lake Erie. They used to be the dominate species. Usually you don't see or hear about them because they stay in the Central and Eastern Basins but they can wander into the Western Basin during the cold or cooler times of year. There are big gizzard shad in the Lake but since they are filter feeders you don't catch them. They also make spring spawning runs up the Maumee and Sandusky rivers alongside the walleye and white bass, but even the river fishfolks don't see them very often.

Lake Erie is a huge Lake with a variety of habitat, and as part of the Great Lakes it gets fish migrations in and out from the upper Lakes.

Also, don't forget about the sturgeon. They are also making a comeback in Lake Erie are in the Western Basin. I know a guy who probably hooked a big one two years ago off Kelleys Island. He hooked and fought a "big fish" for almost an hour, never saw it, he just couldn't get it close to the boat. Eventually he had to try and pull it in and the line broke. He was by himself so he had no help. He though it was probably a huge catfish or carp but the way he described the battle I think it was a large sturgeon.

One of my bucket list of things to do is go to the annual eelpout festival in Walker MN. They are considered a trash fish in a lot of areas but are basically a fresh water cod. I hear of them being caught on occasion out east mainly in the colder month. I wold love to figure them out sometime that and smelt are two thing ls I would love to get into both good eating.

Never caught one myself. Local bar when I lived in Fairport Harbor had a guy bring one in he had just caught and asked if the owner (who was a retired chef) knew what it was. He did. He cleaned and cooked it up, cutting and frying one filet and poaching the other with lemon juice parsley salt and pepper, a little garlic, a little onion. Both were very good, as the angler didn't want to eat it all himself.

I did hook into a sturgeon once off of mouse island. Tied into something big while fishing for... well, whatever that would hit a spreader, with a minnow on one side and a worm on the other. Old open face reel and steel pole. Fought it for about half an hour, did get it up to where I could see it... not a huge one, about 25-30 inches. On walleye tackle I could have probably gotten it in, but on 6 lb test with no drag I had really taken my time. I was about to pull it in to net and unhook it when it spit the perch hook.

We used to occasionally catch what we called Eelpout in Big Winnibigoshish Lk. in Minnesota while pike fishing. Weird looking fish. They do resemble a dogfish. A little more eel like.