?? for Erie Veterans ?? for Erie Veterans ?? for Erie Veterans ?? for Erie Veterans

Default ?? for Erie Veterans

I'm looking to make my first ice trip to Erie March 12th. I realize there is a ton of ice there right now and you can go all over the place. I looked at the extended forecast out to March 7th and it looks like it should still be fairly cold, but possible rain a couple days next week. How fast does Erie shed the ice typically during the winters like we've been having? I would be making a 7 hr trip from Wisconsin and would hate to get there and not be able to get out or make it over a crack. I realize it's a big body of water and just wondering what you guys that are hitting it regularly think?? You guys think the ice will be iffy by March 12th??

I did make a trip out with Sea Breeze Charters last summer. The guys I went with have used them in the past with good success and this was my first time. Unfortunately the eyes were not biting, but they did put us on some incredible perch fishing. They are going out with them again in April to try some walleye jigging. I won't be making it with them this time around, but would really like to get some ice fishing in, if there's still ice March 12th!!

Thanks for any info, hopefully I'll be making out there!!!

Forgot to mention I'd be fishing Port Clinton area

I would get here sooner than later. Any part of March that you can fish is a blessing. It doesn't always happen. Keep in mind that as conditions warm up the shoreline is going to be the first thing to go. Who knows, you might get lucky coming on March 12 but could be iffy. When the ice goes it can go quickly. However, get on a plane and head over to PIB. That's where I'll be. Long after the mainland opens up there is still good fishable ice around the islands. I bucket fished over there last year on St. Pat's Day (Mar 17). All the locals will be on the ice & the fish usually have the feedbag on. Plenty of places to stay. Try to hook up with Bud Gehring. Good luck!