first timer on the ice first timer on the ice first timer on the ice first timer on the ice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default first timer on the ice

hey guys, i am finally going to make my first ice trip, i am going out next monday with a fellow that has been on the ice a couple times before. I have my fingers crossed. I dont have much for lures yet i plan on picking some up before the trip. I was at Bass Pro in Rossford the other day and they were cleaned out lol. could you guys give me some advice as to what type lures or colors i should be looking for. I appreciate any tips or advice you can give a newbie to the ice. thank you and as always be safe out their.Also will i be better off with my 4 wheeler or snowmobile?
    Last edited by eriecaster; 02-12-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be heading out monday. We are also 100% green. Maybe we can work together.....

Post Thanks / Like

A friend who had been on the ice a couple times in years past took me up last weekend and we had his 2 wheel drive atv. Had I known of the consistancy and amount of drifted powdery snow I would have made arrangements for other transportation, We made it about 200 yds off shore and headed back to the truck exhausted after pushing out 4 or 5 times on the way out. I was sad to see all the snow machines heading out no problem. True 4 wheelers made their way also but had some issues digging out occasionally. I dont know the ice conditions after the warm up last Sunday but it will have pact and melted and refroze by now improving the traction. I never had a snow mobile but would think that would have to be a better bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Rickards bait has plenty of lure choices. Pick up a few swedish pimples in size 7. I prefer the larger size in case the currents start to kick the lure outside the transducer cone. I like golds and silvers, but don't think it makes much difference. I'm no expert, but Ive been out 5-6 times the last two seasons. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

ErieCaster,

Snowmobile for sure if you have one, no questions there...

As for baits, most of the reports that I am seeing and hearing are on silver & blue "little cleos" Rapalas and other blue/silver lures. When they are on fire it doesn't seem to matter, and sometimes I think that when you have 75% of the guys all hearing something from a single post or two and everyone switches to blue/silver... Then it makes perfect sense that most fish are being caught on blue/silver.

Point is, have a few lures and try different things. Swedish pimples are a good "go-to" bait, but pick something that looks good and try it.

Tip with shiners and make them look alive and dancing...

-Matt