flashers flashers flashers flashers
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: flashers

Fl18 or fl20. And the zoom is a feature for bottom. My opinion tho.

I vote for the FL 8 as well. Simple, cheap, and shows everything you need to see. I do not have enough experience to say the fancier models are that much better. I just picked up a demo model FL 8 at gander mtn for $250 a couple weeks ago. Very happy so far.

Never felt the need to see the bottom any better than the Vex 8 shows...Walleye at Erie and Quinte...Perch at Simcoe and Couch...Bluegills at inland lakes...Steelhead at Erie...on and on and on...NEVER ONCE felt that I needed any thing more than the 8.

Regardless which model you decide on....Stick with Vexilar....Trust me on this. I have never seen one fail. Cant say that for Marcum or some others.

Check out fishusa.com for pricing...Great People!!! I like Reeds too.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

I'm a newbie to ice fishing and just picked up the Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it seems like a great value and the vertical display actually seems more intuitive to me, having never used the circular kind.

Runs on AA batteries and easily fits in my pocket. I've only used it a couple times but so far so good and for only $120 on Amazon.

I would second the stick with velixar. I have the fl-18 and wouldn't trade it for any other. i do use the bottom zoom it makes it easier in weeds to see the fish come up. I know for erie an fl-8 would work fine.

I seen the showdown and to me for the additional money the 8 is worth it. The colors on the vex are very simple and the buttons easy to work. My wife bought me a Lowrance 5 elite ice machine and it isn't nearly as nice as my vex. i do like that i have gps on it but it will be used as a backup or for friends. i will continue to fish with my vex.

I have a Cabelas brand "VXR" you'd think it was a Vexilar by their name, but it's actually a Marcum. It has the zoom and I have to say I like it for when the bluegill are right on the bottom. It shows about the bottom 25% on the zoom side and still shows the entire water column on the other side. I know a lot of people with Vexilars and like someone else said, I've never heard of a problem with one. If I buy another it will be a Vexilar. Haven't had a problem with mine, but the Vexilar seems like the top of the line.

I have the fl-18 and enjoy the bottom zoom when fishing weeds. I would second that the vex is the only one that I would get. My wife bought me a lowrance elite 5 ice machine for Xmas and it will be nice to have the gps but I will be fishing with my vex. My buddies or kids can use the elite 5. The vex is very simple to adjust and really easy to read and I have had it for 12 years without an issue.

I looked at the showdown this weekend that a guy was using and in my opinion not even close to the vex. With The colors on the vex you will learn to see fish size better and if your in weeds the vex really gives you what you need. I would put a vex right up there with auger and license...

Default It's all good

I have a Marcum Lx5 & Vexilar FL 8. It's all good. Technology keeps changing, but FUNdamentals are fundamentals. Don't think ya can go wrong. They sure are fun. It's like a video game. Only drawback is ur neck will hurt at end of the day from watching it at the same angle for soo long. Definitely puts more fish on ice.

When they won't bite & leave I say they "F@*$ OFF. LOL

Good Luck & Good Fishing

I have the FL-18 and always use the bottom lock feature, as it shows the bottom 6 feet in split screen. 90% of the time not needed, but nice to have. The best time this comes in handy is when 2 guys are fishing one shanty, drill 3 holes and both guys can share the flasher. In regular mode 2 lures and multiple fish on the screen become a blurr. In bottom lock one guy works just a little higher than the other and you can see both lures and multiple fish. Most guys I fish with love the marcums as they are quieter and seem to be more crisp in detail. The only problem with the Vexilar is mine sucks in water less than 8 feet. I plan on getting a second flasher and am considering getting the LX-3 for shallow water and when I take extra people out with me or getting the ice-ducer for one of my old hds5's. Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about using the hds5 in flasher mode?

I just got the lowrance elite 5 with chirp and it does work fine in flasher mode. It takes a little more to get it to the settings needed. It does have more noise on the flasher but I was able to use it and see fish with no problem. I like being able to connect it to the quad and use the gps to move around. I was fishing with the owner of your bobbers down that had the top marcum and it was very nice but a very high price tag. It really shined in the weeds we were pulling fish from.

I think any is way better than none and I wouldn't jig fish without one. I don't mind the noise to me the biggest thing I like is the simplicity of the vex and with 3 dials it was easier to adjust the settings than the multiple menus in the lowrance. I think the similiar priced Marcums are just as easy. Best thing is get out and fish with someone that has them. I will be up February 14th for 3 days if you want to see the vex or lowrance work.