Dipsey Diver Tangled Line Problems Dipsey Diver Tangled Line Problems Dipsey Diver Tangled Line Problems Dipsey Diver Tangled Line Problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dipsey Diver Tangled Line Problems

I run two magnum #3 Dipsey Divers...while running 5' wire at 90 feet trolling a 1/2 oz spoon they were tangled/wrapped in the mono from Diver to the reel on retrieval...I made one slow turn with a fairly large radius...I am told that they tangle when a tight turn is made...I also had to hoss them up because I couldn't trip the trigger...lots of fun if one pretends it is a fish on the other end any other suggestions as to the problem and tips for avoiding the wrap and adjusting the trigger...

Thanks lads...

Fred

Snapswivels on both ends of the leader . Check your settings and adjust your release tension .Or it could have spun on the way out also causeing the tripping problem If your speed was to fast for the spoons it would cause them to spin on you and they will tangle sure as god made little green apples .
    Last edited by POPEYE; 07-19-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks Popeye...I was at 2.5 - 3 mpg so that may equate because the spoons are 1/2 oz. I have doubled up on the swivels...I have read about using chain swivels. Do you use them...if so can you tell me the size I need for running the Dipsey rig with spoons.

Also...I really heaved on the rod to get the trigger to trip so I could pull the rig up without having to kill myself fighting it to the surface with the Dispsey still cocked.
    To no avail...the mono just stretches too much at those depths I suppose and I don't want to go to braid or lead right now. I have read to set the triggers to 3lbs...can you give me a tip on setting the triggers...

Again...my thanks to your replying...You fellows know what you are doing whereas I am nothing more than a starting doofus...but if it weren't for folks like you...we would all get discouraged and just go away.

Thanks

Fred

I really hate to say this after you saying you didn't want to use braid. but if your going to use divers mono is just not the way to go. you really do need to run braid to be able to trip the diver. if you set the trip on the diver loose enough to trip with mono you'll get a lot of false releases. and I know braid can be a little costly but it will last for yrs. I just put new power pro on my reels because over time and tangles some of my reels were only about half full but I have used the same braid for at least 10 yrs. you really should give braid a chance.
    sherman

Default diver

Thanks Sherman...will do

Something you might want to think about ,and , that is getting on a charter whether it is a group of your fishing buddies or a walk on that caters to HANDS ON trips . You can learn more in eight hours on one of these trips than you will in five years of trial and error on your own , And save yourself all the agravation ,time and money .

Ask a lot of questions and get answers on the spot from people that do this day in and day out . Thats what the Captain and Mate are there for . And 99.9 % will be more than happy to share any tips that make fishing easier and more enjoyable. There are quite a few charter services on this site that do this and you will really profit from the experience .
    Last edited by POPEYE; 07-23-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by POPEYE View Post
    Something you might want to think about ,and , that is getting on a charter whether it is a group of your fishing buddies or a walk on that caters to HANDS ON trips . You can learn more in eight hours on one of these trips than you will in five years of trial and error on your own , And save yourself all the agravation ,time and money .

Ask a lot of questions and get answers on the spot from people that do this day in and day out . Thats what the Captain and Mate are there for . And 99.9 % will be more than happy to share any tips that make fishing easier and more enjoyable. There are quite a few charter services on this site that do this and you will really profit from the experience .
    Thanks Popeye...very good advice and there are a few charters here on Watauga Lake...

Are you letting it out super slow.. put the clicker on and let it pull the whole way out. it will tangpe it it is let out to fast... slow slow slow... no tangles.....always have clicker on...

Thanks Cap'n Jim...will do!

Another thing I have did is rig with chain swivels at both ends of the dipsey...I also bought braid for all rods to eliminate the trigger problem (not releasing with mono)

As you warned...I think I probably let them out too fast...man o day those babies dig in and go....

Another thing is the turn...I have been told to do long slow turns...I can do this but don't want to spend all day getting back on the reciprocal...I turn just wide enough to keep the lines from crossing...should I hang the turn out even more?

Thanks again to all you fellows for taking the time to square a new comer away.

what we do a lot of the time is if were having trouble making turns in rough water is to just bring the dipsy,s in make the turn and put the dipsy,s back out. with a little practice you can get this done faster than making a large turn in rough water.

another thing we do is if we have a good productive troll instead of making a turn and trolling back through the area and hoping to catch fish we bring our lines in and run back up to just beyond where we started our troll and turn around and put our lines back out and make the same troll again. this is just a couple of things to think about.
    sherman