Beefy Bag Size Beefy Bag Size Beefy Bag Size Beefy Bag Size

Thread: Beefy Bag Size

Default Beefy Bag Size

Can anyone recommend what size of Beefy Bag would work well for me? Last season I tried to use a bulk tote seed bag that was 42"x42" square. It did slow me down to 1.8mph but that was with only 1 engine running but being square in shape, made it unstabe. With the chop, wind, and current it made my job of steering the boat almost impossible. I have came to the conclusion that adding a kicker would be the ticket, but it is not in the budget this year, so bags will have to do.
    I want to run both engines to keep propwash over both rudders so my steering remains effective and hopefully not overwork the autopilot I added. I plan on running the bags off the bow cleats port and starboard.
    My current setup of twin 7.4L mercs, 2.5:1 Hurth 630a transmissions, and 22x25 4 blade props give me an idle speed of 4.4mph at low idle. I am trying to choose between 2 60" bags or 2 48" bags. Am I correct in thinking if the 2 60" bags slow me down to much, a bit of throttle would be good for more propwash over the rudders? Any advice here greatly appreciated!
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

i would think if you really want to run both motors your going to have to go with the bigger bags i think. you can always bump the gas up just alittle. but if you get bags thats to small you will have to run one engine. but also you might want to think about just using one engine. your going to be using alot of gas running both engines. you could pay for a kicker motor in short order running both engines.

with that size boat going that slow your going to have some steering problems with a kicker motor. you might just be as good running one engine with the 48" bags on both sides untill you go to the kicker motor. good luck with whatever you decide. please let us know which way you go and how it works out for you.
    sherman

Been busy but although my boat has been in since April 4, I just got out fishing for the first time Saturday May 11. Here are my results with the Beefy Bags.

I ended up opting for 2 60" Beefy Bags. These bags are enormous! Running one off each side of the boat from the spring cleats I was able to get down to 1.6 mph into the wind, 1.9 mph with the wind. Both those speeds running both engines at 650 RPM. Steering was very controlled and the autopilot worked amazingly well once I got it tuned in. I had figured, as large as the bags are, that I would have been slower and would need 1000 RPM to get to 1.8-1.9 mph but that's not the case. Sure glad I went with 60" bags and not the 48"ers!!!
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s