Multiple dipsy divers Multiple dipsy divers Multiple dipsy divers Multiple dipsy divers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Multiple dipsy divers

Anyone run 2 - 3 dipsys off the same side of the boat, if so whats the secret to stopping the tangles of the lines ?? thanks for any help.

Blog Entries

Default dipseys

Yes, its been done. Adjust the counter weight settings. Say your closest to port side would be a 0 setting, next rod can be a 1.5 setting, then your outside will run at the 3 setting. Port is Left on dipsey, then Right is Starboard side. In past I also used a shorter rod for the 0 or 1 setting, then a longer rod for the outside. And your leads will all be different at 0-1-2-3 settings. There is a chart on back of most new dipsey packages- fish on hope this helps- ron
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete

i,ll give you an idea. but i use lite bite slide divers so the no# are alittle different but the basics are the same. here is how i fished my divers on erie last week. the fish were down 50 ft and i wanted to fish above them.

my front outside rod is a 9' rod the diver set on 4.5 out 150 ft my middle rod an 8' rod diver set on 3 out 120 ft my inside back rod 7' set on 1.5 out 90 ft this keeps the lures close to the same depth but keeps your lines apart.

then if you need to let your outside rod out you go to the other side of the back of the boat and start letting it out. you use the reel clicker to slow it down so it dont tangle. when you get out 15 ft past your middle rod you take your rod up and over the other 2. and put it in the rod holder. it should be about out where you want it. then just kick the reel in gear and check to make sure its where you want it. like say my middle reel was out 120 so when i got to 135 with my outside rod i would take it up and over and put it in the holder. at that point it would be real close to 150.

same thing on the middle rod. my back rod was out 90 so when i got to 105 i would take it up and over the back rod and put it in the holder. it would be close to 120.

i hope i have helped you and didnt just confuse you. the very best way to learn this is go out with someone elce or take a charter out one time. its really worth the money.
    sherman

Thanks for the info. ,suonds good !

Default 4 dipseys

I always run 2 dipsey on each side. If you are running jet divers with short leads you need to think about the high possibility of the jets running into the dipseys. In that case you should set them at 0 and 1.5. Mine are normally at 1 and 3 and never tangle. Never let them out fast and use the clicker. Some guys run the #1 at the rear of the boat and the #3 just forward of that in the rod holders. I can run my #1 towards the front and #3 at the rear but the rod holders are 8 ft apart. Take some more time on how you set the rods. A good lesson on my boat would probably be worth the time. When I run my #1 dipsey way forward, when a fish hits it, the guys reels it up right along side the boat. The # 3 rod at the rear corner , fish on , then would come right up the rear of the boat. When using very long lines on dipsy, like 100-180ft, is somewhat different way so that the diver has time to go over the over line.
    Salmon fishing, some guys run 3 or 4 on each side. They go out to where you tell them and dont vere far from that. Its hard to tangle these if you get a pattern.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

lineman i was out last week what a nightmare i run my d.r. on the port side at the rear and i run a dispy on the starboard near the rear and once off the bow - i spent most of my time tangled i can,t seem to keep the boat straight w/o my line crossing i troll at 1.5 using my big motor 115 w/a drift sox - it was the worst day ever trolling for hours only to realize that you were tangled the whole time - i can't seem to stay stright!!

is it easier to run everything from the same side?

Speed up the boat. 2.0-2.6 or faster. Walleye hit on a reaction to the lure.
    Reaction Bite. Put settings on #1 and #3. Run the #3 about 10-15 ft longer than #1 and will be at similar depth. At 70 on a #3 and 55-60 on #1 they should be 20 feet apart or so. The lengthy method below will work. All dipseys should be same Diameter and line should be same also. You can run 4 dipseys on basically any boat and should not tangle. They go to the same place everytime you set them out. Put a leash on each rod so that they dont end up in another rod holder and get mixed up with another. Let them out fairly slow, one at a time. A days lesson is worth more than what is written here.
    Here is a picture of hogs from Ashtabula , trolling. crankbaits 350 back off the planer bd, and 115 and 180 on the dipsey setting on 1 and 3, no tangle just fish.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by wishin fishin View Post
    lineman i was out last week what a nightmare i run my d.r. on the port side at the rear and i run a dispy on the starboard near the rear and once off the bow - i spent most of my time tangled i can,t seem to keep the boat straight w/o my line crossing i troll at 1.5 using my big motor 115 w/a drift sox - it was the worst day ever trolling for hours only to realize that you were tangled the whole time - i can't seem to stay stright!!
    i dont know what you was doing wrong for sure. i run 2 riggers 1 off each corner then run 3 divers off each side. you may have had the divers set to run on the wrong side of the boat. make sure when you drop your diver in the water its pulling to the side of the boat your going to run it on. i have 3 rod holders in the back on the gunnels. i point them out at a 90 degree angle to the boat. then i run short leads off my riggers. i run my holders about 10 to 12 in apart. i have never tried running one off the front of the boat. theres just no need to do that. if you have your diver set on a 3 setting to the right you drop it in the water on the left side in the back and make sure you clear your rigger. the diver should pull hard to the right side of the boat. if it pulls to the left side you have it set wrong. switch the setting on the diver. when you get it going the right direction flip it out of gear with the clicker on to slow it down so it dont tangle as you let it out. depending on how far out you plan to run it, about 15 ft before its all the way out you take it and put it in the front rod holder. then if your running 2 divers on that side set it on a 2 setting let it out 30 ft less than your front diver. about 15 ft before you get all the way out put it in the next back holder. then if your running 3 divers set it on a 1 setting let it out untill your 15 ft from being out now put it in the back rod holder. after you put them in the holder flip them back in gear and check your counter. and put it out to the amount you want.

you should never get your divers in your riggers. you just have to be doing something wrong. because if you have your divers set to go out beside the boat the only way you could get them tangled is if your getting into them when your letting them out. or your putting your divers on the wrong side of the boat. if you have the diver pulling to the right and you put it on the left side of the boat its going to run back towards the boat.

always check your counters when you start letting them out, to make sure they are set and they are working.

the best thing i can advise you to do is fill a couple of empty seats with guys using divers. or go out on a charter with someone running divers. but maby something i have said will help you.
    sherman

one other thing, you said you was using a drift sock. you might be better to use 2 drift socks. one on each side. and maby even try speeding up just alittle about 1.8 to 2.0, all these things should help. if you put your front outside diver out first you can just let it out on the side your going to fish it on. and make sure its pulling away from the boat. you should have to be turning pretty bad to tangle a dipsy on one side with a rigger on the other side. and keep the clicker on when letting out your diver. please let me know if anything i,ve said has helped you. and i will try to answer any questions. just pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by wishin fishin View Post
    is it easier to run everything from the same side?
    i run 3 divers and 1 rigger and 1 outrigger on each side. the main thing is on the divers is to run a higher setting in the front outside. like if i was using dipsy,s i would run it on a 3 setting then my middle rod i would do a 2 setting 30 ft shorter than the front diver then i would do a 1 setting 30 ft less than my middle rod. i do run short leads on my riggers so they dont tangle as im letting them out with the riggers down. you can mix up your lures. i mix spoons and harnesses. then on the outrigger you have to run something that dont get as deep as your divers or something that has to go out alot farther to get down. does anything i,ve posted help you??
    sherman