Newbie help. Newbie help. Newbie help. Newbie help.

Thread: Newbie help.

Default Newbie help.

I've been fishing all my life but not on Erie. My inlaws have a place in Marblehead and I want to take my kids out. My question is this; I just want them to catch fish, don't care what. Junk fish are ok, if they caught a mess of sheephead that would be great. We'll be around kellys, what would be the best bait/method to catch fish?
    One more question, if I'm out without the kids any help on catching smallmouth would be great.
    Thanks for the help guys!

If you can swing it, take a charter. You'll learn more about where, why, how in one day with a charter than you will by yourself after many times out. After that first trip, you should have a pretty good idea on what, where etc you'll need and can expect when you got out on your own. And those kids should have a blast.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Im in the same boat as you. ( figure of speach of course) Ive been going to great lengths on making sure boat is in tip top shape, getting all safety gear inorder, and even though have been boating for years...taking the boaters safety course. Yes, I knew a lot of the info, but there was a great deal I didnt know.My safety included learning to read a compass very well and measures to get full up to minute weather reports and the ability to have great radio communication. Beyond that know my limitations for the boat and comfort level for the rest of my crew ( family)