What kind of boat What kind of boat What kind of boat What kind of boat

Default What kind of boat

What kind of boat and equipment do you recomend for fishing central Lake erie around Erie pa. I am purchasing a tracker targa V-18 ,115 hp merc ,lowrance lcx113hd finder with GPS.

What kind of fishing are you planing/wanting to do? Drifting, trolling, perchin salmon?

walleye and perch- I know the ways to fish I just have not fished Lake Erie. My question was will my boat be suited and safe for Erie. What would be the safeist areas with this type of boat or could I go to the right areas to catch fish. I have been boating on WV inland lakes for 30+ yrs. Im just getting the new boat and have always wanted to fish Erie. Just coming to you guys for some good advice. Hopefully save me all the beginner bad luck and dumb mistakes Thanks for any help

Your boat will be fine. Watch the weather. Go out when there are other boats around and when it's rough. Learn how to drive the boat in bad conditions. I've been fishing Erie, St clair, Saginawbay for 20+ yrs out of 18ft boats. I am now running an 18ft Cliner. We use to ( for tourney's and practice) run from the Detroit river to the east side of Pelee all the time, and this was before GPS. That's 42 mi's each way. ( Tourney's almost all ways have bad weather on average ). Controlling your boat experience in bad conditions will help make sure you come back no matter what. Not to scare you, but it's much better to learn how when it's warm water, lots of other boats around etc. That way when your out there 18 + miles you'll have the confidence to get back cause all the Great Lakes can blow up fast. When you head out, besides your GPS, take note of the water towers. Your compass also, but when you can recognize what water towers are where. You will always have a direction to get you back if everything else fails. Save lots of waypoints. Mark every launch as you leave the harbour and name it. That way if something happens to you, your passenger will have an idea on where to head to get back. I prefer to run my GPS in course/track up. That way anyone on board can figure out where they are headed to get out or back or to get to the next way point. Your always headed up screen, what's on your left is left, right is right.
    Last edited by ebijack; 03-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Default Erie

I fish erie near walnut creek or off the point, you can run 6 to 7 mile from walnut to hit the trenches, (60' to 70' ) I used to run a 20' open bow and had lots of fun,but you must watch weather and listen to forecast, go when there is low mph south winds, Good luck,

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time 2 View Post
    I fish erie near walnut creek or off the point, you can run 6 to 7 mile from walnut to hit the trenches, (60' to 70' ) I used to run a 20' open bow and had lots of fun,but you must watch weather and listen to forecast, go when there is low mph south winds, Good luck,
    Im a little more northeast of him but can be at the trenches within a hour. The only thing about erie is the weather changes on a dime. You could be out on a flat calm day and in 15 mins it could kick up and you could be in 4-6 footers. Your boat will handle it but it will be a slow and wet ride back. Ive seen guys perching on erie in 12 john boats with 9.9's. I think their crazy but they do it. Like stated above, watch the weather.
    Good luck.
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    http://www.roughhousecharters.com

Ebijack -I hope you dont take my comment of knowing how to fish wrong. I really appreciate all the info. I would really like to try Erie but I want to do it safe. Thanks to all for the info.

No problem Angler, I just wanted to put out there about learning your boat. It can save your life. Alot of folks have no idea on what their boat can or can not do. And how to utilize it. Just like learning to handle your launch/load. Once you have practice, it's pretty easy. My wife gets scared out there at times, but she has been with me when 2 to 4's turned into 6 to 8's + in a matter of minutes. I watch/pay attention to the weather conditions always. She knows, when I say pullem, she knows what to expect is ahead if we don't get all the way back in before the lake shows her stuff.
    Fishing Erie is my wife's favorite place to fish. So we head there every chance we can get. Probably won't make Ohio waters from Ohio much this year as the $$ of gas. We'll have to stick up to the MI/Oh border more.

Got my new Tracker Targa yesterday. Havent had it out yet. Hoping to get it all ready and get it out soon.

Default new boat

I fish pa line west to geneva I dock in conneaut the biggest things you can get is all your safety equipment including i say 2 fire extingushers but 1 will do . next would be a gps to me is a must fog,summer haze,storms darkness and exspecialy if your new it is easy to get off course i run 2 because i had 1 lock up on me heading out and to this day it still says that im on the 04.line but im more on the safe side that said get a heavy say12lb-13lb anchor 150' of rope min your fish finder dont have to be great but it will help down riggers are optional but needed for when the fish are deep if this is what your looking for or i can go on all day let me know if you need more info and on what good luck on that new boat almost forgot a radio and a 8' antena
    Last edited by Jason Ferrick; 04-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT