Planer board weed wacker line Planer board weed wacker line Planer board weed wacker line Planer board weed wacker line

Default Planer board weed wacker line

I was working with a charter captain from the western basin we were talking about switching our planner board line and i asked him what kind of line he perfers and he told me that they use weed wacker line. I thought he was shiting me but he goes on to explain how much easier the ( caribeners ) that you would use for a key chain holding his line releases they slide down this line very easily. Well i started to understand still not 100 percent sure of his story, but i will take his word for it. So my question to all of you is have any of you tried this? If so please let me know . I still have to replace my line , and also what kind and where did you get your line .

Thank you all in advance.
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

Default Alternative line

A lot of the people that I know who pull the big boards have switched to spectra, (power pro, tuff line, jerry brown) super braid in 500lb test. The 500lb is about the same diameter as 200lb mono. It is extremly slippery, it stays on the planner reel better as it does not have much of a memory. It is a little more expensive but lasts extremely well, if you break the tow line just once and loose 10 to 15 releases that would more than cover the extra cost. The one down side is that there is little or no stretch, so they use a snubber to help with the shock affect while towing. I believe both the line and the snubbers are available at Amish Outfitters whose products are available at the store maintained by this site. Amish outfitters also have a web based online store.

Disclaimer
    I have no interest in Amish Outfitters in either business or friendship, I gain no reward from suggesting their site or products to anyone. But do feel rewarded if I can help a fellow fisherman!

Thanks for the reply thats why i want to change hate to lose line releases even when i drop one overboard every now and then
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

Default Well

My buddy chartered a lot of years and weed eater line is all they use on their boats. Works great just as he said and havn't lost a board yet.

Went down to the monroe show a last year and ran into one of the captains from brest bay marina. He came out with a release saver in case your planer line breaks. I know of a couple guys at brest bay who have some of the prototypes and they flat out work. So i thought i would pass this on to all the guys using big boards. I bought a pair to use after last year watching one of the guys get his board run over by some hot boat not watching what he was doing and listening to the fight that ensued over the radio.

http://www.bulldogcharters.net/
    then click on clip catcher

I use snubbers(Amish Outfitters) on my boards the long ones,I would use the Spectra A/O sells.I would say unless you are pulling triple boards and 8-10 lines off one side you would be ok

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    A lot of the people that I know who pull the big boards have switched to spectra, (power pro, tuff line, jerry brown) super braid in 500lb test. The 500lb is about the same diameter as 200lb mono. It is extremly slippery, it stays on the planner reel better as it does not have much of a memory. It is a little more expensive but lasts extremely well, if you break the tow line just once and loose 10 to 15 releases that would more than cover the extra cost. The one down side is that there is little or no stretch, so they use a snubber to help with the shock affect while towing. I believe both the line and the snubbers are available at Amish Outfitters whose products are available at the store maintained by this site. Amish outfitters also have a web based online store.

Disclaimer
    I have no interest in Amish Outfitters in either business or friendship, I gain no reward from suggesting their site or products to anyone. But do feel rewarded if I can help a fellow fisherman!
    want to thank you for the info. i just bought some of the off brand braid off ebay in 250 lb. it was fairly cheap. but i never even thought about using a snubber with it. but with the braid not stretching i would say the snubbers would be worth there weight in gold. no need to pay for name brand when the off brand should work just as good.
    sherman

We have been running weed whacker line for the last 3 or 4 seasons and it seems to work out really well . One thing we do is to lube the line as it is going out with a silicone wipe . The releases we use are connected to the board line with a shower curtian hook and slide down the line very easy .One thing to be carefull of is the amount of weed whacker line that you put on the reel DO NOT FILL TO THE MAX if you have plastic reels . The sun will make the weed whacker line expand and you could possibly blow the side out of you reel .
    I have no problem with memory in this line once it is strecthed a time or two .Also I connect to the board with a clip and no snubber as there is some give in this line . Also I will run 6 to 8 lines per side depending on the bite .

Good luck and have a safe season