trolling with a 90 trolling with a 90 trolling with a 90 trolling with a 90

Default trolling with a 90

can you troll with a 90 horse motor??

will it do damage to the motor?

Default I do it

Well, I wouldn't say it is optimal but it can certainly be done. I have an older Merc 90 2 stroke and I trolled with it the entire 2010 season. Just use some large drift/trolling socks on each side of the boat and you should be fine. 5 gallon buckets work as well. Just drill some holes in the bottom. Wit the socks, I was able to get down to anywhere between 1.5 and 2mph with the waves. These are not optimal speeds for early season, but well within limits from June to October. I also mounted a Minn Kota trolling motor (55lb thrust, 12 volt) that mounts to the cavitation plate of the outboard ($500). This worked great for when I needed to slow way down or on heavy wind days. I can troll all day on two batteries and its a lot cheaper than gas right now. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LmitingOut View Post
    can you troll with a 90 horse motor??

will it do damage to the motor?
    Is it 2 or 4 stroke, I would be concerned if it is a 4 stroke it might not get the lubrication it needs at low rpms(trawling speeds) over long distances or long time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Is it 2 or 4 stroke, I would be concerned if it is a 4 stroke it might not get the lubrication it needs at low rpms(trawling speeds) over long distances or long time frame.
    its a 2 stroke, I do have a 80lb trolling motor that should get me easily to 1.0 for the spring bite

I dont have a 90 horse mine is a bit bigger but i use a trolling plate they run about $110 but i can get it down to 1.5-1.8 with no problem but always take an extra set of spark plugs for they might fowl out after a while .

Cabellas ,bass pro ,. They all sell them watch what size you get
    there are 2 sizes 90hp and lower and over 90 and up my guess is that either way you are ok 90 and up or 90 and lower just check to make sure.

Good luck!!
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

What i forgot to tell you is that i had to reinforce mine see if you forget to put it up before you take off you will bend and or break it. Something you can use is trolling bags /drift sock that work real well can also use these for drifting to slow down your drift.
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

Default trolling

I put a set of pro trollers on mine to get away from using bags.

Cool Spoons

What is the biggest spoon any one has used to catch walleye....and have got them on that size...reason got a box full of over 150 spoons for salmon...from 7 in to 3....since i dont get north a lot for salmon..thought maybe i could use some of the smaller ones..???????????????any thoughts