Newbie to planer boards and walleye fishing.. advice? Newbie to planer boards and walleye fishing.. advice? Newbie to planer boards and walleye fishing.. advice? Newbie to planer boards and walleye fishing.. advice?
    AustinWilliams Guest

Default Newbie to planer boards and walleye fishing.. advice?

Hey guys,

I just bought a 1994, 22' OMC Neptune walk-around vessel for some weekend fishing. I'm extremely familiar with downrigger fishing for salmon and trout as I've been doing it with family and friends in my old 14' aluminum boat on Huron for the better part of my life. However, with the size of this new boat, I figured I want to get into some good walleye fishing in Erie. I hear the ONLY way to fish for walleye is with the use of Planer Boards, however, there are not that many articles out there that clearly explain all components of a planer board for newbies like me.

I see that there are two separate types of planer boards, offshore and the type that run directly off your line. I noticed that offshore planer boards are fastened with a mast and reels with high vis line. I believe I'm going to lean towards that but do you guys argue on which is better? Money is not really an issue while equipping this boat as I want to get quality products.

Can anyone explain which is better and point me towards some articles for newbies?

What is best to use for bait? crankbaits? worm harnesses? spinnerbaits?
    How to set them up? run them off the boat?

Thanks,
    Austin.

walleyeslayer Guest

Default Off Shore Boards Instructional Video

I love the Off Shore product. Get the quick clips and tattle tails as add-ons. There is a you tube video to help you out at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elor9BsK

Mark

AustinWilliams Guest

well knock on wood.

I guess the only way to do it is through self teaching.. so I went out and bought two single reel manual Big Jon planer board masts. Gonna mount them to the gunnels and also purchase some Big Jon quad rod holders. I looked at the Church Tackle w/ tattle flags but decided I wanted something that would last a bit longer and use more. Appreciate the response!

-- Austin.