Hi y'all,

I am new to walleye fishing but fish a lake that has them stocked. I bought a couple of trolling rods/reels and some walker divers (like dipsy divers, only cheaper :P) but still haven't had any success. I've trolled spoons, crawler harnesses, spinners, and crankbaits to no avail. I have caught wipers, crappie, and even a blue cat while trolling. I'm sure I could just be fishing where the walleye aren't at and that could be part of the problem, but I have a few questions about my setup.

1) I am currently using 50# braided line on my trolling rods tied to the divers to help reduce snapping the line on snags (works wonders so far). I have about a 6-7' leader of 10# spiderwire super mono running to my lures. My first question is, will the 50# line cause issues with the walleye due to it's visibility, even though it's not attached to the lure?

2) I have read that walleye inhale their bait instead of swimming up and biting it. Is there a trick I can use to increase the chance of a trailing walleye having the ability to suck in the bait? I know trolling in an S pattern helps vary speeds, I just wonder about how much slack needs to be in the line for walleye to easily take a bait, and how to achieve that without holding the rods in hand.

3) I don't know what else to ask, but I'm sure I'm missing something... do you know what it is?

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions!