Need advice rigging boards Need advice rigging boards Need advice rigging boards Need advice rigging boards
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice rigging boards

I am looking for advice on rigging my boat for planner boards. My boat is a 21 foot center console with T-Top running a 175 Evinrude Ficht.

First off should I just run the planner reels right off the T-Top instead of a mast? I saw some people running them right off the side of the boat. I guess the question is how high off the water do you want your planner reels?

Next, what are the best planner boards? I am thinking the big ones that look to be around 3 feet long. I know some guys make there own. Suggestions?

My boat doesn't have a kicker and will only troll down to 2.8 mph on smooth water. Have you guys had any luck with the little plate that flips down over the prop to slow down the speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    I am looking for advice on rigging my boat for planner boards. My boat is a 21 foot center console with T-Top running a 175 Evinrude Ficht.

First off should I just run the planner reels right off the T-Top instead of a mast? I saw some people running them right off the side of the boat. I guess the question is how high off the water do you want your planner reels?

Next, what are the best planner boards? I am thinking the big ones that look to be around 3 feet long. I know some guys make there own. Suggestions?

My boat doesn't have a kicker and will only troll down to 2.8 mph on smooth water. Have you guys had any luck with the little plate that flips down over the prop to slow down the speed?
    I have never used the plate to slow my troll. An easy solution it to use plain old 5 gallon buckets. Throw one over each side. Play with it a bit. You should get down close to 2mph. Bump your boat in and out of gear from time to time. Especially when you mark fish. When you re-engage, you often pick up fish.

I just purchased a 3 foot tall planer system with 2 reels. It is made by Bert's custom tackle. I have a cabin on my boat so I will mount it on my dash near the cabin hatch. A couple of key points are to mount far enough forward so planer lines won't interfere with other lines ie. down riggers dipseys etc. the other point is to mount high enough, you can run boards out 100-150 ft. from the boat. 6 or 7 feet will work. If you are lower than that, your board lines will drag in the water if you try to run boards out very far. Your T-top set up is great. You can get reels and mount them right to your top. This is a common set up for charter captains. Running offshore boards is alot of work and takes an experienced crew to do properly but will pay tremendous dividends as you can literally cover 300 feet of water in a pass. The majority of my fish caught this year have been away from the boat on inline boards.

I also run 4 downriggers and do well with them. I added those to target steelhead and salmon but they do work for walleye too.

As far as what brand of board, spend the money and get good boards. I find when I try to skimp on money for products, I usually am dissapointed.