Trolling Bags Trolling Bags Trolling Bags Trolling Bags

Thread: Trolling Bags

Default Trolling Bags

Can anyone recommend the size of bags I need to get my boat slowed down to troll. I have a 32' Wellcraft Coastal T-454's. Loaded up weight has to be near 15,000 lbs. I can only slow down to 2.8 MPH into the wind and 3.5 MPH with the wind on a single motor. I assume I will need 2 bags, but what size and make do you recommend. I thought of mounting a kicker on the swim platform, but all I have available is a 1969 9.9 Chrysler and I doubt that would even move my boat. I am open to the idea of a kicker, but bags are far cheaper. What HP kicker would I need? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

I would be with the bags. They are cheaper and easy to install and remove (just tie or un-tie some knots). My uncle has a 24 ft lund and we troll lake erie and lake ontario for salmon and use troll bags. Got them from cabelas. There are different sizes so just ask them what size they recommend. I don't think you will be disappointed.

call Frank ( great guy ) and he will sell you what you need. and these are trolling bags not just drift socks.
    http://www.amishoutfitters.com/catalog2.htm

My personal experience with my new to me boat powered with a single 5.7L/350 GM with a Bravo III outdrive has been that without bags or any type of speed control my speed was 3.8 GPS speed at idle. I tried the Amish Outfitters bags in 22" and got down to around 2.8 mph so I returned them to Fishermans Wharf and exchanged them for the 36" bags because they were out of the 28" bags. I went out to troll for some eyes and could not get below 2.0 to 2.2 with those 36" bags. I am personally going to go with a kicker as I don't like to tow around those big bags and still have to add something else into the mix to slow me down as I believe in the KISS system type of fishing. I use alot of worm harness's and need to get down to 1 mph or less GPS speed at certain times and those bags just will not do that. I had onboard with me 2 experienced boat owners that have used bags for several years and their opinion was the same as mine as far as them not working for my particular boat. Which is a 23ft Pro-Line. I do have a pair of 36" buggy bags (used once for about 2hrs) for sale so if anyone is interested PM me.

I'm with you Wakina, a trolling motor is the only way to go. also I have come in on a trolling motor a few times ( blown eng, water pump, steering cables etc) besides having to do it in mine before. my buddies 23ft sportcraft HT has a 15 hp merc and we still had to use bags to get slow enough for harnesses if there was any wind at all. a HT 9.9 yamaha should be great for your boat.
    Last edited by ebijack; 11-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.