Are plastic rod holders strong enough..... Are plastic rod holders strong enough..... Are plastic rod holders strong enough..... Are plastic rod holders strong enough.....
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are plastic rod holders strong enough.....

I'm in the process of outfitting a new boat. Are the plastic adjustable pole holders (specifically Scotty's) strong enough to hold downrigging or dipsy rods? I don't want to use recessed or track-mounted rod holders. Any advice is appreciated.

SwampRats Guest

Default Holders

They should work but I have seen one bend before on my buddies boat. Not sure how it got that way but it was enough bend in it that the rod didnt look right and had a bad angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks SwampRats

Thanks for the reply SwampRats. I purchased a few Scotty holders shortly after my initial posting and finally got a chance to use them last night. They seem sturdy and well built but I'm still leery of using these holders for Dipsey's.

smith782 Guest

Lightbulb Help me!

Excuse me,I have a question, I need help!Is there someone to help me?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------classic tall ugg boots classic short ugg boots

Post Thanks / Like

Default scotty rod holders

Quote Originally Posted by Skunker2 View Post
    I'm in the process of outfitting a new boat. Are the plastic adjustable pole holders (specifically Scotty's) strong enough to hold downrigging or dipsy rods? I don't want to use recessed or track-mounted rod holders. Any advice is appreciated.
    scottys are all i use and have been for 5 yrs. dipseys ,boards and everything else and have never
    had a problem i use surface mounts so when fishing inline boards i use the extentions so the rods are more verticle i like them a lot and would buy them again

Post Thanks / Like

We have used the FISH ON brand of plastic rod holders on out boat for 10 years. We use them for dipsy trolling and never had an issue. They hold up the the lake erie swells and hard pulling dipsys just fine for us.
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    http://www.roughhousecharters.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Scotty's

I have now used the sco tty's on two boats for one its been 8 yrs. and a set of triples with one base and a couple of extensions on the other for 5 yrs. and the
    extentions are still straight. They make a good product.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Default scotty holders

Quote Originally Posted by Skunker2 View Post
    like i said above i use scottys for everything and i am in the eastern basin where the water is deep and i pull #1 dipseys with the rings i have dipseys out all the time i don't have any trouble i use 20# braid and sometimes i have 250 ft.and more of line out you want your poles straight out or slightly down when pulling dipseys i dont know where you fish or the depth of water , i fish in 100
    ft. of water and fish are 60 and 70 ft. down and have to use braid or wire
    line to get there , scotty holders will work for you but the tube type holders would be probibly be better bob