Hummingbird 788c screen froze up today Hummingbird 788c screen froze up today Hummingbird 788c screen froze up today Hummingbird 788c screen froze up today

Default Hummingbird 788c screen froze up today

I bought a used boat with a Hummingbird 788C and was out on lake Erie today and the screen froze up, none of the buttons would work, finally I pulled the fuse. The unit came back up but I'm not sure if this is an occasional thing or if its time to look for a new unit. Has anyone had this problem?

If you like the unit and how it operates it may be a good idea to keep using it and see if it is going to be a persistent problem. Or maybe just one of those glich's that happens to electronics from time to time.
    I am only speaking for myself but if it was mine I would give it another chance. You may be able to get an interface cable and hook it up to a desk top and reload or maybe even update the software from the hummingbird website. I used to run birds all the time and was able to update from their website. I would check their web page and see if that is still available. Just a thought.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks for the reply. I will give it another try and see what happens. I fish Lake Erie and want a decent unit that I can rely on. I have always had Lowrance and this is the first Hummingbird I have used. If I continue having problems with my Hummingbird 788C, I will be getting a new unit, either a Lowrance Elite 7 or possibly a Hummingbird with a 7 inch screen. Lowrance is offering a $100 rebate on the Elite 7 until June 15th.