Which radio do you have? Which radio do you have? Which radio do you have? Which radio do you have?

Default Which radio do you have?

I would like to upgrade my radio to include the DSC system. I got stranded 14 miles out last weekend and let me tell ya, its no fun calling for help and silence on the radio.
    I currently have a Lowrance LMS-522C GPS/sonar unit. What radio would you use with this unit? I normally fish anywhere from 5 to 22 miles from the tow boat. Also the antenna will be replaced, currently in use is Shakespeare 5206-c.
    Any thoughts on radio / antenna combos to reach out 25 miles?
    Thanks
    BTW - It was the starter that gave out.
    20' Sea Ray

I installed a lowrance link 5 with a shakespeare galaxy 5225 XP last winter. I can hear people calling for dockage at put-in-bay while fishing near the toledo light house [over 25 miles away] and have made calls over 20 miles. I did add an external speaker because the one in the radio was not loud enough to hear while under way,also have an older Icom in the boat with a new galaxy 5225 XT,there is no comparison,The new radio and xp cover much greater distance and very clear both transmitting and receiving

Just a note:
    Higher is better, mine are mounted on my hard top ,base of the antennas are approx. 7 foot above water
    Last edited by Throttles Down; 07-07-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added note
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

Throttles, that’s the exact setup I ordered yesterday from West Marine. Only difference is mine won’t be as high, Base will be about 4 feet off water surface. Great to hear yours is working well.
    If needed I considered an antenna extension. Thought I would try it out and go from there.
    20' Sea Ray

Skinny I had a 4' on top of my 23' Parker pilot house which put the tip 10' above the water about 12mi was the best dist. I replaced it with 5225xp 8' I can tell you there is a world of diff in 4' between a 4' and 8'. I was 5-6mi west of Rattle Snake on Sat a guy calls his buddy give location(cord#) I ask him to repete # he was 2mi se of Virmillon weather bouy 20+ mi from me.I have a Standard Horizion it's built into gps/sonar (cpv550) I have always had good service out of S/H. I have 2 Shakespear 1' extension if you need to raise your antenna list $40@ pm if interested. I could save time by saying go 8' if you can

Quote Originally Posted by wajski View Post
    I have 2 Shakespear 1' extension if you need to raise your antenna list $40@ pm if interested.
    Thanks WAJSKI
    I have on order the same antenna as your using. Should put me a total of about 12' above water surface. Plan is to try it out and go from there, but the idea of extension sound interesting. If I decide to go that route I will PM you.
    Thanks
    20' Sea Ray