What kind of Radio For Lake Erie What kind of Radio For Lake Erie What kind of Radio For Lake Erie What kind of Radio For Lake Erie

Default What kind of Radio For Lake Erie

I am thinking of a Cobra MRF-45. Only $109. Would it be a good one. Should I get the 5 or 8 ft antenna. The 5 ft with mount is on sale with a rebate if you buy the radio at the same time. Should I also buy a flare gun for emergencies Any help Thanks in advance.

I would stick with an 8 foot antenna it will give you more range for transmitting/recieving. I just put a COBRA MR F75 in my boat and am very happy with it so far. The radio that you have listed is basically the same radio except the speaker is located in the Microphone on mine and not in the main radio body, my hearing sucks so that helps me, as I can keep the volumn down and still hear it well as it is close to my ears.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

the antenna is the most important part of your system. go with the 8' and if you have the money get a good one. i know the cheap ones work and will contact the coast guard. but it was the best investment i,ve made in a long time when i upgraded my antenna. i can hear and talk so much farther, and gets a clear signal.
    sherman

Sherman51 is right! Don't focus so much on the radio, but buy the best antenna possible. It is much more important than the radio. The important factor with a VHF radio is to have the furthest range possible. If you have an emergency you want your broadcast to go as far as possible to have the best chance to be heard. The distance (range) that an antenna will broadcast is equal to 1.32 times square root of antenna height above the water. Also, make sure all the connectors are good quality. A lot of radio problems are introduced by poor connections.